SmartRAR - rar unarchiver

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ivanglisic, May 15, 2011.

1. ivanglisic, May 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011

ivanglisic macrumors newbie

This is my first app in Mac App Store and I hope not the last.
    When I started work on SmartRAR the idea was to develop app that has functionality of winrar when it comes to rar unarchiving.

SmartRAR can handle all types of rar archives, encrypted, password protected, multivolume, self-extracting (SFX)... Basically it can do everything that other unarchivers can do, but has some additional advantages:

- You can browse archive content in outline view without the need to extract files. Also you can extract only files that you need.

- SmartRAR has full support for multivolume archives. Similar to winrar you can browse file system for missing volumes. Archive parts doesn't need to be in same folder or even doesn't have to be same name.

- One feature of winrar that I really missed on Mac is "keep broken files". Sometimes you want to preview some file without need to download all parts of archive. Now you can enable "keep broken files" during extraction and extract only part of the file for previewing.

- Archive comments. It is not uncommon for rar archives to have comments embedded in them. Usually people put additional informations in comments, even passwords for password protected archives. SmartRAR detects comments and automatically shows view with comments.

- SmartRAR can open and extract even self extracting rar archives (SFX archives - exe extension) archives.

- SmartRAR is build using official unrar library, and that is the reason why SmartRAR will always have maximal compatibility with winrar and rar archives.

SmartRAR is already available at Mac App Store, http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/smartrar/id437083887?mt=12. You can see screenshots there, and also on this link: http://www.smartrar.co.cc/index.php?slab=support you have tutorial on how to use SmartRAR and see all of functionality of SmartRAR.

Tell me what do you think. If you have any suggestion, question, comment please feel free to post it I will check this thread on regular basis and respond. Also you can contact me through PM or through contact form on product page: http://www.smartrar.co.cc/index.php?slab=contact.

2. ivanglisic thread starter macrumors newbie

New version of SmartRAR

New version (1.1) of SmartRAR is on Mac App Store.
    Added new features:

Added full support for unarchiving Zip archives.SmartRAR now supports opening and extracting various types of Zip archives ( splitted, encrypted (legacy and AES encryption), bzip2 compressed, ZIP64 format...).

Added support for Comic book archives (cbr and cbz).

3. willpower101 macrumors regular

Does it allow compression into multi-volume rar3 format archives, eg., .r01, .r02, .r03... .rxx?

4. ivanglisic thread starter macrumors newbie

SmartRAR is unarchiver, so it is not possible to compress files just to extract them. SmartRAR has full support for extracting rar archives, multi-volume, encrypted, password protected...

5. ivanglisic thread starter macrumors newbie

New version

New version (1.2) of the SamrtRAR app is in App Store. Added support for opening and extracting 7Zip, Zipx, GZip, BZip, TAR, ISO, LHA/LZH, CAB, CPIO, Z and ARJ archives.

6. Redwyvern macrumors newbie

It really looks interesting, and I also miss the features of winrar, but at 5 bucks, it's too pricey. I'm not exactly "cheap", but maybe a $1.99 price point would be more appealing. I'm just sayin...

7. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

Are the WinRar for Mac links not legit then?

Unrar doesn't have the repair for CRC errors so is there a Mac one that does repair CRC instead of having to download files again?