Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KUPARA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2013
SmartTap is a new tweak from Elias Limneos that lets you wake your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch by double-tapping the screen. The tweak may be particularly useful for those with damaged power or home buttons.

You can also use other gestures, like slide up from the bottom or slide down from top of the screen while its off, and have it perform a different action like, unlock the device or launch a particular application. Right from your locked device with the screen being off!

SmartTap uses the digitizer sensor when the screen goes off, without keeping the screen on. Battery consumption is said to be minimal; however, a flipswitch lets you turn the tweak on or off at any time.

You can purchase SmartTap from the Cydia Store for $1.99.

I got it installed and the battery started going down very fast. Almost like 6% in 30 minutes with no screen time and no wi-fi, 3g, etc. I have a 5s. Great, great tweak and so useful, but this battery issue is just annoying.

HenryLong

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
Germany
I'm wondering whether the issue of battery drain could be device related.
With the 5S using its M7 co-processor it may have less battery consumption than older devices using the main processor to keep the digitizer running.
So it might be helpful if you name your device type when reporting battery drain / no drain in order to sort it out.

I really like the idea of SmartTap but still hesitate to install it on my 4S due to possible battery impact.

EDIT: I'll steer clear from it. The question whether it drains battery (or not) has been answered...

http://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/comments/24m6xe/heads_up_smarttap_has_a_huge_impact_on_battery/

Last edited:

0xyMoron

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
California
Of course it will cause battery drain, the tweak keeps the digitizer awake ready to take touch inputs, you can turn this off but then after seconds of idle no further touch inputs will be registered unless you use physical buttons.

Thomasxxxxx

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2014
Yes, I can confirm it. After installing it the battery started to drain very fast. I turn to sleep my iPad with 15% battery and then after few hours the battery was completely drained. There is no problem in battery in my iPad. I have had my iPad just few months.

ali2b

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2014
-

it happen to me also after I installed it (smartTap) in my iphone 5 the battery drain very fast :mad::mad::mad:

Zunayed Alam

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2016
I'm using a 4s nd i downloaded dim nd smarttap at the same tym.. My battery percentage downs by 10% every 5 mins.. I uninstalled both.. Bt still having the same battery issue.. Need assistance..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.