SmartWatches aren't there yet

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BanoraWhite, Jul 2, 2014.

1. BanoraWhite macrumors newbie

BanoraWhite

I don't know where to actually post this but if this is not right please move it. I don't really see a need for a supposed I watch or any other smart watch that your phone really can't do. If apple does something that with the iWatch that really changes the way we do things that would be great but now I don't really see the big advantages. The iPhone 5s already iincorporates a motion procesor for exercise. What else can smart watches really bring to the table that a simple 2 seconds of reaching for your phone really do?

2. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

They can make you look like a nerd, and the kids love that...
    I'll stick with my automatic diving watches. To me a watch is male jewellery, not a tech device.

3. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I agree with both of these posts. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see what comes out. Even in these forums the reasons that folks think this new-fangled device is going to help them is laughable. I stopped wearing watches decades ago when I realized that there is almost no time I am not surrounded by clocks. Now I'm not so tied to my phone that I need it on my wrist instead of in my pocket. I guess the pendulum swings and old things are new again.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

The Motorola whatevertheycallit looks pretty legit. Does just about everything I would expect a smartwatch to do. And I don't find it looks nerdy (well, while in use, sure, but in standy, not to much).

That said, I don't really need a quicker way to see a text or what have you. I just don't find it enough of a convenience boost to buy an additional $300 peripheral device for my phone. I am fairly big on fitness, so those aspects might tempt me, but even then, it would have to be some amazing features. There are currently decent heartrate, distance, and calorie trackers on the market, and none of them interest me enough to drop $100+.

5. Kaylor macrumors regular

Kaylor

I already feel overly-connected just carrying around a smartphone. I don't see the appeal of having all my notifications flashing on my wrist, constantly in view. It seems overwhelming and annoying to be honest. I usually take myself off the grid at least once a month for some radio silence, although at school I can usually only go for about a day because I need to communicate with lab partners, do research, etc.

I am, however, interested in the health tracking components. So far, there are multiple trackers that track one or two biometrics very well, but no real all-in-one device, which is what I'm really looking for.

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

There are none that tempt me, either. I have zero interest in these fitness features (I'm a very active person, but I really don't need to count my steps or track my sleep) and just having a second screen (on the wrist) for my phone doesn't seem compelling enough.

7. AlphaHumanus macrumors 6502

You guys are actually making me rethink my need in whatever apple may bring to the table. I wear a watch almost daily. So I've really just been waiting on apple to buy one. Which isn't necessarily rational. I don't NEED any of the extra functionality. I'm so conflicted.

8. Kaylor macrumors regular

Kaylor

I wear a watch as an accessory and a timepiece pretty much daily. I'm excited to see what they release, I just don't think I'm interested in buying it based on the rumors of what it will do. Who knows, my opinion could do a total 180 when it gets released. Like I said above, I'm really not interested in having notifications in my face all day, but that's just me.

Don't think about it too hard, we're still months from release :p

9. BanoraWhite thread starter macrumors newbie

BanoraWhite

I'll try not to, but I really wish any tech company including Apple could really bring a "There's one more thing" to the smart watch that would really make it applicable to the real world.

10. Kaylor macrumors regular

Kaylor

I share the same sentiments. It really is a "wait and see" scenario right now.. I want to fast forward a few months :confused:

11. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Just think of the battery drain, having the watch connected to your phone (presumably by bluetooth) all day long. Aside from notifications of SMS and possibly being able to take a phonecall through the watch itself, plus the fitness stuff, what on earth can the iWatch bring to the table....that can in any way be classed as an 'essential' feature? Will it be a glorified 80s calculator watch perhaps?

12. aneftp macrumors 601

I'd skip the first gen smart watches. Like the iPad didn't take off till iPad 2.

Wait.