Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gary495

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
Hello,

So, it's just a matter of time before the era of the smartwatches (maybe?) begins. What do you think, will they be able to make the big breakthrough? Personally, I'm more inclined to buy an IWC watch like one of these where you can tell that the design is what comes first. To me the smartwatches are way too clumsy and seem more like old James Bond gadgets than real, useful devices. Nothing beats a classic wrist watch.

What do you guys say, would you consider buying a smartwatch? Why/why not?

Regards,
Gary

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Never. Why in the universe would I want my watch to link up to my phone? Why in the universe would I want my watch to run apps? Why in the universe would I want to have to charge my watch every 2-3 days (or every 1 day with Samsung's attempt)?

The industries' efforts on watches are wasted on me.

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
For me, a wristwatch is a part of personal style. I also prefer mechanical watches. A mass-produced smartwatch would go against both of those things. Additionally, none of the features that have been implemented/floated really appeal to me, so I really can't imagine myself buying one.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
If there was truly a smart watch released with a week (minimum) of battery time that wasn't half useless without linked to a smart phone, I would consider one.

But seeing as most phones are going to be 1-3 days charge and at best a few dumbed down apps and mostly dependent connected to a phone via Bluetooth, I see no point.

I don't even wear a regular watch currently. Haven't since I was 12 and lost an awesome Tom & Jerry watch.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I would never get one, I don't want to have to charge my watch constantly. Maybe if the battery life lasted a year I would consider it, but I realize that is impossible with any current battery technology so I would say I won't ever get one.

jeremy h

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
UK
I think the name smartwatch doesn't help. I think they'll be no more just a watch than say my iphone is a direct replacement for my old 1990's Nokia in terms of functions.

I also think there's a huge sporting / fitness / outdoor market for a smart watch equipped with a range of sensors that could be customised with apps.

For example - for what I get up to I currently have a posh watch, a cheap waterproof watch, various diving wrist computers, a polar HR watch thing etc etc.

I would absolutely buy a wrist gadget that replaced that lot above - i.e. was pressure resistant and came with motion, depth sensors, heart rate doofer, gps etc etc. I could then load the relevant apps on it and use it for diving, the gym, outdoorsy stuff etc etc.

If it could also check emails, tell the time and wouldn't make me look like a prat if I wore it down the pub then I'll be the first in the queue.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
As far as I'm concerned, these products (as they exist today) are not smart watches; they're Bluetooth devices.

You come up with a watch that performs as a smart watch independent of any phone or other device, then we'll talk. Until then, it's just a Bluetooth device to me.

GBrooks

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
London, UK
Solve the battery life issue with an automatic movement :p
I wonder how much power you could get out of a tourbillon?

Regardless of what happens in the industry, I think i'll probably be sticking with my Hublot

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I personally like my 6G iPod Nano as a watch. All I need is something to play music, and it's nice to hide the wire up a sleeve. It's very out of the way.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
I wonder how much power you could get out of a tourbillon?

None. A tourbillon is an addition to the escapement. It doesn't provide power.

The power comes from the mainspring in a mechanical watch, or a battery or capacitor in an electronic one.

Solve the battery life issue with an automatic movement :p
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_watch#Automatic_quartz_or_kinetic_movement
After the introduction of quartz watches, electronic automatic quartz watches powered by arm movement were developed by Seiko. Typically a weighted rotor turns a tiny electrical generator, charging a rechargeable battery or low-leakage capacitor, which powers the quartz movement. This automatic quartz arrangement provides the accuracy of a quartz movement without the need to replace for routine battery replacement for the life of the rechargeable battery or capacitor. An alternative power source with functionally similar results is a photoelectric cell ("solar watch"). Unfortunately the rechargeable batteries only have a 500 to 1000 recharge cycle limit until it ceases to hold charge.
So advances in battery technology are needed that improve the number of cycles. Or advances in capacitor technology that improve energy density or leakage.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I doubt I'd ever buy one - I had a cheap digital watch before I had a phone, but now I'd only wear an analog watch for style. Smartwatches do not look classy IMO.

bassofspades

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2013
made an account just to say this because I'm surprised at the lack of interest here...

No one into the biotech advantages?? Heart rate/blood pressure monitoring, sleep cycle analysis/alarm clock (via vibration), general fitness tracking, pedometer, etc? And that's just with current tech. Future could bring way more.

I'm really intrigued by the idea personally. No one else?

rk1228

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2008
Louisville
I have a "Pebble" watch. It may only be a bluetooth device connected to my phone, but I like the vibration when the phone rings (whether the phone is in my pocket or not) and being able to read text and e-mail without having to look at my phone.

The Pebble is not full color and it would never be confused with a analog watch, but there are hundreds (if not thousands) of watchfaces available and I can change the face at will.

The battery life is currently on about 5-6 days. I charge it on Wednesday and Saturday and have never been without power.

I think the future of a true "smartwatch" is exciting and look forward to improvements in the future, but for now, I really like my Pebble.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Never. Why in the universe would I want my watch to link up to my phone? Why in the universe would I want my watch to run apps? Why in the universe would I want to have to charge my watch every 2-3 days (or every 1 day with Samsung's attempt)?

The industries' efforts on watches are wasted on me.

I feel the same way. I almost always have my smartphone with me. I don't want to look at a 1-2 inch screen.

pavinder

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2009
Like most other posters, I have absolutely zero interest in a smartwatch.

But there's also no way Apple and others would spend millions on R&D into such a clearly unwanted product.

That suggests to me that there must be another revolutionary product on the way, something we don't yet know we want.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
I feel the same way. I almost always have my smartphone with me. I don't want to look at a 1-2 inch screen.

Same here. I don't even wear watches to begin with and I'm not about to start just so I can have another added device to deal with. If you're too lazy to pull out your smartphone and need a watch for that? now that's just excessive in my opinion.

jeremy h

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
UK
made an account just to say this because I'm surprised at the lack of interest here...

No one into the biotech advantages?? Heart rate/blood pressure monitoring, sleep cycle analysis/alarm clock (via vibration), general fitness tracking, pedometer, etc? And that's just with current tech. Future could bring way more.

I am too - as I posted above. I used to lurk on this site long before I joined and I remember when Apple launched the original iPod - most people on the various forums didn't think it would take off. To be honest - I didn't either. I even had a little snigger when my then colleague (this must have been 2001/02 ish) rushed out spent a lot of money and bought one of the first ones. After all everyone who listened to music already had top quality stereo's and portable CD players.

How wrong I was - I missed the fact it simplified things. I think the same will be true of some sort of smart watch. A gadget with body sensors that can be customised - at some point they'll be huge. (The desirability/fashion bit will come. Once they're used by film stars etc in action blockbusters all the kids and not so young kids will be wearing dressy versions. After all a lot of the posh Omega and Rolex type watches are desirable because of a diving / jet pilot / astronaut / James Bond type of association.)

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
If they can come up with a way to measure blood sugar non invasively with some type of sensor on the watch, it would be a huge incentive for diabetics to buy them.

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
I work in a call center that doesn't allow cell phones in the cubicles. They're kept in cubbies outside of the cubicle and call center agents can check them on break. A smart watch is perfect in this scenario, because they can read texts and emails and see who's calling, so they're still accessible if an emergency were to arise.

bwfilms

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2014
I am too - as I posted above. I used to lurk on this site long before I joined and I remember when Apple launched the original iPod - most people on the various forums didn't think it would take off. To be honest - I didn't either. I even had a little snigger when my then colleague (this must have been 2001/02 ish) rushed out spent a lot of money and bought one of the first ones. After all everyone who listened to music already had top quality stereo's and portable CD players.

How wrong I was - I missed the fact it simplified things. I think the same will be true of some sort of smart watch. A gadget with body sensors that can be customised - at some point they'll be huge. (The desirability/fashion bit will come. Once they're used by film stars etc in action blockbusters all the kids and not so young kids will be wearing dressy versions. After all a lot of the posh Omega and Rolex type watches are desirable because of a diving / jet pilot / astronaut / James Bond type of association.)

Same here. I created an account a week or so ago because of the Apple watch. Aside from the biotech advantages, the form-factor of a computer on the wrist device like the Apple watch is fascinating.

The iPhone is better than the iPad when you're on the go, the iPad is better than a desktop when you're surfing on the couch, etc. In most cases, the form-factor is the defining factor in those cases as the "lesser" machines are more powerful.

I think the taptic feedback, the constant availability (because it's on the wrist), etc. are intriguing indeed. For me, even in the first version, the Apple watch will certainly be the better device for many situations: controlling my AppleTV, thermostat, etc., reminding me when I forget my iPhone (in the car, at restaurants, etc.), listening to music while on the go, all the health-related functionality, etc. Hopefully, Apple will make it a stand-alone device and incorporate things like GPS, camera in the second version. Having the Apple watch as an independent, always-available router for other devices, communication device (for short messaging needs), camera, navigation system, etc. would be really nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.