Smash Discount Lightning Cables?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by lordofthereef, Sep 27, 2015.

1. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

was wondering if anyone had any experience with smash discount. I did a search and found nothing, which surprised me since I constantly see ads in Facebook. The reviews (comments) all seem positive but the very likely possibility they are shills has me second guessing myself.

Anyway it's $6 for a 10 foot flat red cable. I need something at least five feet in length, ten is probably s little much, but I can zip tie a loop or something. I'm most concerned with the cable bending at the Lightning port tip as Apple's option tends to fail there for me since I sometimes use my device while plugged in.

http://smashdiscount.com/shop/cable...ook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=10C+News+Feed

2. lordofthereef thread starter macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Well, I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and order, despite the fact that I just got an authentic cable to give me the "accessory not supported" message lol. I'll use this thread as a review

3. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Rather you than me. As you know, even good cables can go bad, but personally my starting point for any cable purchase is 'is it MFi certified?'

4. bnork macrumors newbie

bnork

--- Post Merged, Oct 24, 2016 ---
    How did you make out with this company and their cables, if you can recall?? They recently approached me with an offer to buy cell phone accessories to sell in my store.

5. lordofthereef thread starter macrumors G5

lordofthereef

The cable wasn't any worse than what applengives you. I have an issue with fraying Apple cables that die shortly after the fact. These never quite frayed but they did stop working after about 3-4 months, which is about the lifespan I get out of an Apple cable.

6. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Really? You only get 3-4 months out of a Apple cable? Are you jumping rope with them? ;)

I've had iPods & Apple cables since 2001 and just had my first iPhone cable fail on me this month (and only that was b/c the wife was repeatedly smashing it with the center console lid of the Subaru.

7. lordofthereef thread starter macrumors G5

lordofthereef

No. I use the hell out of them though. Gym bag. In the car. I'm not careful with them. At all. Because I don't think I should have to be. I just replaced an insignia cable after two years of use. They are mfi certified and cheaper than Apple. That's how it should be.

For the record I just saw my moms cable. Also fraying. She's careful with everything but uses it in bed. She had it just over a year now (6s cable) Don't know what to say. Glad they last a long time for you.

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I think I've accumulated so many that they mostly stay in one place, so they don't suffer much wear and tear.

I probably am careful with them, but I definitely understand your thinking that one shouldn't have to be. Good to know about Insignia.