Smash Screen on Early 2011 MBP- Worth replacing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SnapperUK, Apr 27, 2015.

1. SnapperUK macrumors member

My early 2011 15" 2.3 GHz 8GB took a tumble from a table last week and the screen cracked.
    I have an appointment tomorrow at the Apple Store. I really want them to write the machine off so I can get a new one. What are the chances? Any way of improving them?
    When can we expect to see new 15" MBPs?

2. CaptainChunk, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2015

CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

It's pretty delusional to expect Apple to just hand you a brand new machine given that circumstance. Nowhere in their warranty does it state accidental/incidental damage is covered.

When I brought in my 2015 13" rMBP with a cracked display not too long ago, they didn't tell me, "Oh, bummer, here's a new computer!" I had to pay for the repair.

New 15" rMBPs probably won't arrive until at least mid-year. New quad-core chips aren't available yet.

3. SnapperUK thread starter macrumors member

I had absolutely zero expectation of apple giving me a new machine. What I do want is to be told that the machine is not worth repairing. Then my insurance will cover the new machine rather than just a new screen.

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Surely the insurers will just compare price of new vs price of repair? Won't be down to Apple "writing it off", thats not their decision to make (same as a repair shop won't decide to write your car off)...

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

You clearly

Haven't crashed a car in the UK I had to fight to get them not to write mine off for some door damage before they even saw it!!!!