Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Anyone know what Apple charges to replace a cracked screen on a 2008 13" MB?

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks. I tried search but I didn't see that one.. because I was searching on 2008. It's the same cost for 2008 and 2009?
That's just the first result I found. I didn't search any further. I would expect the cost to be roughly the same, regardless of year. I would just call the Apple store and ask, to get a more accurate estimate.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
That's just the first result I found. I didn't search any further. I would expect the cost to be roughly the same, regardless of year. I would just call the Apple store and ask, to get a more accurate estimate.

Yeah, calling them got nowhere, they need a Genius to Look At It. I have an appt for tonight but I was wondering if someone here had gone through it with them before with this model.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
If you're keeping score at home, Apple charges about $400 to replace the screen on a 2008 13" unibody MacBook.

iFixit sells the part for $100 and it's supposed to be very simple (unlike the white), so I'm going to spin the wheel. .. Or not. Not sure. Apparently the guide is rated "very difficult", and requires several tools we don't own.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If you're keeping score at home, Apple charges about $400 to replace the screen on a 2008 13" unibody MacBook.

iFixit sells the part for $100 and it's supposed to be very simple (unlike the white), so I'm going to spin the wheel. .. Or not. Not sure. Apparently the guide is rated "very difficult", and requires several tools we don't own.
Does iFixIt sell the tools you need? They do sell tools and tool kits. It may work out that buying the part and the tools is still much cheaper than having Apple do it. Of course there's the "hassle factor" that I'm frequently willing to pay extra to avoid, but some like to tinker.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Does iFixIt sell the tools you need? They do sell tools and tool kits. It may work out that buying the part and the tools is still much cheaper than having Apple do it. Of course there's the "hassle factor" that I'm frequently willing to pay extra to avoid, but some like to tinker.

They do. It's $100 for the glass and $50 for the missing tools. And repair is apparently rated "very difficult" - apparently the Genius has some trick because he said it should be easy. (It's relatively few screws, but requires delicate heat gun work, plus the danger of using suction on a cracked glass.)

I'm not putting $400 into this laptop. I'm either going to sell it as-is (and get a 2012 13" MBA) or I'm going to risk the repair. I felt better about the repair before I read the step-by-step...

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
For fans of happy endings.. we found a local guy willing to do it for $80, parts & labor included.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.