Smashed iPhone 7 plus already

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Peterpandy, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Peterpandy macrumors member

Peterpandy

im so annoyed! In all my history of having iPhones I've never smashed a screen. after less than a week it fell out my pocket and landed face down. I have purchased apple care so can have it repaired, however I've been checking every morning, waiting for a black model to come in stock at my local store. I had been hoping to change within 14 days. I take it this will be out the question now?

Also does anybody know, with phone stock still limited how long will it take for a replacement/repair?

2. iEs macrumors regular

iEs

Yeah that voids it I'm afraid! Gonna have to get a replacement via AppleCare which can take a while.

3. Peterpandy thread starter macrumors member

Peterpandy

I thought that might be the case :/ does anyone have an idea of waiting times? I might just have to put up with the smashed screen until more stock becomes available as I can't be phoneless

4. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Have you even called Apple yet? They probably could give you a wee bit more specific info related to your claim.

5. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

Just go down, they have replacements in stock they don't list on the website just for this purpose

6. RedOrchestra Suspended

REALLY ... where did you hear / read that?

7. Illuminated macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

I had to get my Jet black iPhone 7+ replaced because there was a blemish on the camera glass. They had the replacement phone the next day. Guess they got a shipment in two nights ago.

8. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Yep, store can have replacement units that would not be in their sale inventory. Worth a try.

9. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

It's been like this since the first iPhone came out. its rare they won't have a replacement for you. It's only happened to me once in 9 years and I get at least two phone replacements every year lol.

Either way you can't go by what's for inventory off the website. They are not going to give you a brand new one in retail box. They will bring one out in a cardboard sleeve and take it out and give it to you, brand new, phone only. That's how it works.

Even if they had new stock that you saw on the website, then go down there and by chance they didn't have any of the replacement devices in the cardboard sleeve. They would still order you one of those before giving you a new one in retail box.

Advice, make your appointment asap and just go down there

10. stephisme91 macrumors newbie

I had to get my replaced under warranty and they had a brand new replacement device within 24 hours! It was very fast. I was really surprised how fast Apple moved. I went into the apple store on Wednesday and they had one in the morning of Thursday. I think you should get a replacement fairly fast.

11. Peterpandy thread starter macrumors member

Peterpandy

Update:
    So managed to get an appointment, they didn't have any good 7+ in stock to replace it with. Told the advisor I'd been hoping to return within 14 days for black with larger capacity prior to smash. She spoke to the manager and they let me swap over for the black +128GB and pay the difference, didn't even have to use apple care.
    Love apple so much! Best customer service ever!

12. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Apple let you replace a 32GB 7 plus of a different color with a 128GB Black 7 plus??? I have never heard of them letting anyone swap colors.

Not for a warranty replacement.

13. Peterpandy thread starter macrumors member

Peterpandy

Yup they just put it through as a return and disregarded the cracked screen :)

14. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I believe the manager allowed the OP to return the his phone and he then paid the difference and get the 128GB device instead.

15. Peterpandy thread starter macrumors member

Peterpandy

This is correct

16. mildocjr macrumors 65816

Just so it's clear - http://www.apple.com/support/products/iphone.html
    This means your iPhone hardware is covered for 1 year through basic warranty. If you want more than 90 days of being able to talk to a Apple Support rep about anything other than hardware problems you need to get AppleCare+. Just figure I'd save everyone some money.

As to the OP, I had a gold iPhone 7 Plus 128 GB go bad on me, it had an overheating issue. I called up Apple and they told me the replacement phone would come in within 3 days. I received the tracking info the next day and the second day it was at my door. They use overnight for replacements so it shouldn't be too bad on you.

17. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Hard to believe that a glass screen protector is going to make much of a difference when the device is dropped face first onto the ground.

18. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

No thanks, I'm not gonna test my theory lol. I don't use screen protectors, never have, and I've never had any scratches or issues.

19. Ironman1964 macrumors regular

Ironman1964

It sounds like you did have an issue (c:=

20. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

No, just not going to smash my iPhone to prove a point.

21. miss.manson macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

Actually it does. I dropped my phone face down right on the screen and to my surprise only the screen protector cracked. My actual screen was still perfect. Cheap price to pay for a little piece of mind and you can't even tell it's on there.

22. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Eh, that's fairly anecdotal evidence. I'm glad you feel it works for you, but I hate the way they look and just don't want one.

23. miss.manson macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

Yeah true enough.

24. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

Did they give you a replacement phone from a retail box or was it a service unit?

25. Ironman1964 macrumors regular

Ironman1964

So your phone didn't fall out of your pocket and the screen didn't get smashed?