Smashed my MBP. Now What?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vertsub, Feb 22, 2012.

1. vertsub macrumors newbie

Until recently I was very happy with my 13 inch early 2011 MBP until it took a tumble down the stairs. As you can see from the pics below it didn't do too well.

Fortunately, it still works if I plug it into an external monitor! So I know it is salvageable. Does anyone know of the most cost effective way to salvage this computer? I do have a fully functional 2009 15 inch MBP laying around which I'm hoping I can transplant into. I also have a dead 2006 mac mini laying around too.

Does anyone know if it is possible to relocate the innards of this computer into the other 2 shells I have? Otherwise does anyone what else I can do with this?

Thanks! :)

Attached Files:

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Does it turn on? If the HDD isn't dead you can transplant that to one of your other machines. Otherwise, probably have to just part out whatever is salvageable.

3. JacaByte macrumors 6502

Yeah, your only options are a new unibody and a new display assembly and transplanting everything, or parting out the logicboard, optical drive, keyboard, battery, etc.

4. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

That seems like 900+ worth of repair.
    Since you said its able to run when you plugged into an external monitor, Im assuming you HDD is alive.

Unplug the screws and replace this HDD with your 2009 MBP HDD.

5. vertsub thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for everyone's reply. I've been using it for the past few hours with a monitor, keyboard, and mouse attached and it's been running fine. I guess I was hoping that somehow the parts would be interchangeable with the 15 inch MBP so I could rescue the i5 CPU.

Btw for my first post I must admit that this community is nothing short of excellent!

6. Mjmar macrumors 65816

I know this is an obvious suggestion, but why don't you take it to the Apple store and see how much they'll charge you to replace the glass and unibody? If all of the components are working it might not be as expensive to repair as you think.

7. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Im guessing its around 900+.
    On other threads, this guy took his MBP that had a dent on the side of the body to get it fixed. They said it was around 900USD since they had to replace the whole unibody.

This time, its with the screen so maybe more. But worth a try

----------

It might cost a bit but there is a solution done for yourself if you can get the parts. This is a guide to fix your Mac from iFixit.com. Heres the link for Early 2011 13in MacBook Pro!
    http://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Pro_13"_Unibody_Early_2011

8. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I am pretty sure I saw those pics before- someone who's brother through it on the ground?

9. zombiemom macrumors member

I just wanted to say I feel for you. I inadvertently kicked my Vaio from a table to the ground while leaning over to get something. BUSTED. I wept. But it did make me purchase a new one and here I am with my first Mac. I did what you are doing. Used it with an external set up for many months. Promising myself to fix it. Meh.

10. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Put the hard drive in your other MacBook Pro, then salvage and sell all the other working untouched parts on eBay :) Probably not worth repairing, as the screen is one of the most expensive parts.

11. snoop13 macrumors newbie

Motherboard

Im looking for a motherboard, do u want to sell it? Im in San Diego, CA.

12. flipnap macrumors 6502

if i were you id be very careful about running that thing, especially wired to an outlet. ive seen bad things happen. if the damage is that bad on the outside, imagine what could be wrong (short circuiting) on the inside. take it to apple or write it off as a loss. better than losing your life to an electrocution.