Smashing Magazine sets off a Flame War!!!!

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by Tennyo, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Tennyo macrumors member

Tennyo

Well maybe not really a flame war per say, but they wrote an interesting article about Developers and Macs: http://www.smashingmagazine.com/200...esigners-are-switching-to-mac/#comment-345010

I haven't gone through all the reader comments but there are definitely a lot of opposing opinions. XD

And I say flame war because their first paragraph was pretty hilarious and, in my opinion, very accurate:

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Well those that start the flame war are uninformed. Those fools never try to open 100 5mb JPEGs in windows, and then try to multi task between that and say, email client with >20,000 emails (no, not archived mail but searchable mail).

They obviously know that PC = Easy As 1-2 3
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=693145

3. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I think there are enough fanboys to start a flame war no matter how neutral the topic is - and there are guilty parties on both sides. They both get obnoxious and insulting trying to prove an unprovable point.

Oft, an article may be presented in a spirit of genuine intellectual interest, and the comments start off being okay and then you get some idiot that states their opinion as if it were gospel and they simply don't accept that there's any other way.

-

THAT being said, Smashing Mag's quality has gone down much in the past few months. They used to post useful stuff, and lately the bulk of it has been moderately good ideas put together poorly and, apparently, sloppily & unresearched (like the author is simply promoting sites for his friends or what a quick Google told him). It doesn't speak to me as a knowledgeable designer anymore - the tone is more beginner. I don't check it out regularly anymore..

4. Tennyo thread starter macrumors member

Tennyo

Well it's still a good site for people like me who are still learning everything. :)

5. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Right - I'm not saying it's worthless, just for my purposes it doesn't suit nearly as well as it did.

6. Tennyo thread starter macrumors member

Tennyo

7. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

Loved the video and the 1-23 thing. I thought the switch article was biased a little but a flame ware was inevitable. Just today I was curious about those 300 new features and googled it just to see if I'd missed any.

8. iNikon macrumors member

Enlighten me.