SMB and Timemachine...I broke something

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nizmoz, Dec 23, 2010.

1. nizmoz macrumors 65816

I was following some instructions on trying to get my time machine to backup to a Network Server SHARE on my home network, and I did one change that made time machine show it, and it tried and came back with a error 41 I believe it was. So I did some research on that, and ran some more commands to try and get it to allow the backup. Well after this, I am no longer able to connect to that SMB share anymore or ANY network share. I can't figure out how to fix this as I am not really familiar with MACs as good as some of you.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this so I can access that share again? I really need to get that working.

Thank you!

2. nizmoz thread starter macrumors 65816

Anyone?

3. spidey3 macrumors regular

Perhaps if you include the link to the instructions you were following, and some info about exactly how SMB mounts are failing, we might be able to help.

While it would be nice if it were possible, we cannot read minds or remotely sense the content of log files on your computer :)

Spidey!!!

4. nizmoz thread starter macrumors 65816

5. spidey3 macrumors regular

At exactly which step did you get the "error 41" and what exactly did you do to clean up after that?

Please post the content of the following files from around the time of your SMB connection attempts:
    /var/log/system.log
    /var/log/samba/log.nmbd
    /var/log/samba/log.smbd

Spidey!!!

6. nizmoz thread starter macrumors 65816

Sadly I am not sure what step caused it. I just did the steps and then tried it.

I can't seem to locate those folders/files.