Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ruvil

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2010
Since Apple apparently has dropped the classical "samba" in Lion - my shares does not longer seem to work on my Popcorn hour.

I have activated the "smb" in the "sharing" tab but my popcorn hour still can't connect to my mac like it could in SL.

I guess that there's some kind of auth error between the two, i have tried all different kinds of setup that i could figure out but nothing seem to work :(

Does anyone have the slightest idea on how to get it working? :)

cortplayer

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
It appears there are plenty of SMB issues with Lion. I lost all ability even to browse shares on my Buffalo TeraStation, which worked beautifully under Snow Leopard. Bad Lion. Bad, bad kitty.

Any info on SMB solutions would be enormously appreciated.

cortplayer

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
It really goes much deeper than "Lion is bad."
Much has to do with Samba development, GPL open source software being bundled with commercial software.

Yes, yes. And many users are now unable to see their NAS devices thanks to the changes--none of which Apple so much as mentioned as potential issues in the Lion marketing. I can guarantee you that there are plenty of NAS makers right now who are really wishing Apple had waited a bit to release 10.7.

So yes, it goes much deeper if you want to "lionize" Apple and dissect the reasons and history of the issue, but it's really quite simple for those users whose Macs are now useless until a fix arrives: Bad Lion.

rebby

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2008
MN
many users are now unable to see their NAS devices thanks to the changes--none of which Apple so much as mentioned as potential issues in the Lion marketing.

I can see my NAS just fine (Solaris based NAS using ZFS CIFS). At times I can even connect and browse through a few directories. This will quickly go downhill though and I'll end up with some sort of timeout. I've even had Finder lock up on me or Terminal go unresponsive. In no way can I copy files to or from the NAS.

At this point, my SMB/CIFS shares are totally useless. That is not something that I expected. :mad:

jaimeastin

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
me either.... i am disappointed in a lot of things with Lion... Not lion hate... just there are so many things broken for me and MY network... There are some many things broken for my workflow.

I blame vendors for not having stuff in time, but also apple... what where they thinking with these changes to things like samba?

Apple thinks they can just change anything thing they want... If they do not like it, they will make a new STANDARD... They bully/force change and we eat it up... I am tired of this... Take natural scrolling... I have nothing against it, but it is nothing special. It makes way more sense on a touch device, but again it is an option for people which is GOOD. No way is wrong... Take a magnifying glass and a sheet of paper... Do you move the MagGlass around of do you move the sheet of paper? Who, cares, it is your way... Naturally, the MagGlass. But if it was a microscope, you are more moving the slide. The MagGlass is Natural Scrolling, touch screen; the screen/window is what is moving about the page. The regular scrolling is like the window is static and the page is dynamic...

I like lion, but after upgrading my mini, I am crippled... CRIPPLED! I am slowing making nessary bandaids for the wounds, but I wish i had snow leopard back... at least for a while... I could care LESS about iPad features on the mac...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.