SMB connections drop on 10.9 GM

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Squuiid, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Squuiid macrumors 6502a

Is anyone else finding that SMB connections drop after a while and won't reconnect unless you reboot?
    I'm connected via ethernet cable and all sleep/powersaving is disabled.
    I can't go 24hrs without my SMB connections to shares dropping, and unless I reboot they won't reconnect!

2. Kuwait macrumors member

Kuwait

everything working great after update GM and fast restart and shutdown on GM

3. bwat47 macrumors regular

They sometimes "drop" for me (disconnects from the share and share disappears from under devices in the sidebar), but never require a reboot to reconnect. If I just manually enter the path to my smb share in "connect to server" it always connects. I only have one share and connect to server remembers the last path in the input box so no big deal for me.

For example here's what I use in connect to server to connect to my share, called "Downloads" on the computer "Brandon-PC": smb://WORKGROUP;brandon@Brandon-PC/Downloads

I do wish they'd just let you put a permeant bookmark for the share in the finder sidebar though... If there is a way to do that I couldn't figure it out.

4. Squuiid thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I traditionally just mounted the share and then dragged the share to my Dock to make a Dock shortcut. If the connection drops I just click on the Dock icon for the share and it mounts again.

6. bwat47 macrumors regular

I tried this, but for some reason it doesn't let me drag the share to the dock to make a shortcut. It does let me drag it to the desktop to make a shortcut though and the shortcut does work. Do I have to do anything special to get a shortcut to a smb share in the dock itself?

7. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Did you drag it to the right side of the Dock?

8. bwat47 macrumors regular

ah, thanks, that did work :)

9. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Heres a good one. Make a Blank folder in you Documents folder and named it something like "Share Connections". Then drag that folder to you Dock. Then when you want to save a connection to a share drag that connect/mounted share to that Dock folder and put it into the folder. Then with several connections you have to connect to just save all the mounted shares to that folder. Then you could just click on the folder and then when the Dock flare come up just select the share you want to connect to. To me this would be the easiest way to mount a share with typing all the time to connect.

10. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I do similar, but have aliases on my desktop. Works well.

11. Squuiid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why have them disconnect in the first place. The ping can be minimized and means your drives NEVER disconnect. Good for when using your Mac as a media server. ;)

12. Squuiid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mavericks 10.9.1 is still dropping connections to Server 2012R2.
    Went back to Mountain Lion 10.8.5 and SMB connections are no longer dropped.

Hoping 10.9.2 addresses the many SMB issues in Mavericks, not only dropping connections but it also errors out when doing a large file copy.

13. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

IMHO Apple did stress enough about using SMB2 because of the wide use of older devices still using much older versions of SMB.

Some 10.9 users have successfully changed out the smb:// string with cifs:// instead to connect with older smb devices. While others gave switched back to smb1 according to the blog post a Mavericks smb workaround.