Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IDMah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2011
Hi

This is probably a stupid question, but I looked and can't find a definitive answer.

Our internet is out and now all the SMB shared folders don't work.
We see the device on the router and AFP works but not the smb...

I tried un-sharing and then re-sharing but nothing.
Any ideas?

Hate watching movies on my laptop if I have a 50' tv..

thanks

Setup is one modem-router feeds to: network switch, and another router.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hi

This is probably a stupid question, but I looked and can't find a definitive answer.

Our internet is out and now all the SMB shared folders don't work.
Normally there's no dependency on an internet connection for SMB to work over your local network, but it's possible that your router/modem device isn't working properly.
Without a lot of details it's impossible to give a more definite answer.

Reactions: satcomer

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Seems like you would be a prime candidate for a New Apple TV or another and investigate in a smart NAS that supports Plex or Codi and stream your movies to them to the TV device from a Networked NAS.

IDMah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2011
Even the wifi connected SMB didn't work, although we could see the device on the router management page. When the Internet was restored it seems to find the SMB fine. Which is wacky!

How would I check if the router is pointing to an outside DNS?

I usually point the Apple TV to the ip of the server computer an old G5.
if there SMBup or something like it for PPC OSX 10.5?

IHelpId10t5

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2014
Setup is one modem-router feeds to: network switch, and another router.

Why do do have two routers involved? That's almost certainly the problem and tells me that the two devices that your SMB server is likely not on the same network as your client.

If you have a second router on your network you need to make sure that it's set to be a "bridge" and not actually a "router" that is doing DHCP or DNS. If it is behaving as a router then not only are your devices likely on different IP networks but they will be using different DNS servers, different NATing, and behind firewalls and therefore may not be able to resolve or reach the other hosts.

The solution is to make sure that all of your hosts are on the same Ethernet network, within the same subnet. In this case all of the devices will just see the other devices through zero config networking like bonjour. So, just get rid of the second router or make sure that it's being used as a bridge.

IDMah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2011
Pretty sure that I put the router in bridge mode as it don't show up in Device Info -- DHCP Leases off of the router.
How do I check the subset ? Subset Mask?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.