Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

feelingsupersonic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2020
Texas
Sorry if this is a dumb question, I did some googling beforehand but nothing ended up being fruitful. I have a home server running modern Linux that I use for basic file sharing across my network, and I'm having no luck getting any of my Tiger / Leopard computers connected. This is via Samba hosting and there is no problem with native/normal use on my MBP (High Sierra) and my jailbroken ATV via Kodi.

The PPC machines can see the "root" directory structure insofar as the names of the directories that are available as shares. However even when I try and authenticate and open a folder I am just getting an error about how "the original item cannot be found."

Does anyone know of a solution or workaround?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
If I recall correctly, you're going to need to disable digital signing on the server and allow passwords to be transmitted in clear text.

Tiger specifically has serious issues with SMB. Leopard was an improvement but not fantastic. The underlying problem is that Apple had it's own version of SMB for years. Not until Yosemite did they switch to what everyone else is using - which is what you're using and is why your more modern Macs don't have issues.

An alternative is to find and install a copy of DAVE on the Macs. That's by Thursby software. Their implementation is the normal flavor of SMB and it replaces Apple's stock version.

andloph

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2017
Spain
i guess you are using samba4.
make sure that you have at least :

Code:
min protocol = SMB2

in your smb configuration file, otherwise they wont connect at all.

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Somewhat similar, yet not, is the need for Windows 10 machines to be set to "Send NTLMv2 responses only" to access Mac shares on modern machines. It doesn't matter if you force SMB1 on the Mac. If you don't set this in Windows 10's LAN Manager Authentication Level, you won't even SEE the shares.

Reactions: eyoungren
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.