smb share now forces to type password on old files..

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by scubes13, Apr 24, 2008.

1. scubes13 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone.

Two nights ago, I installed Parallels Desktop. I then setup Kubuntu as a guest operating system. This went without a hitch.

I then went into my System Preferences under Mac OS X 10.5 (on new macbook) and turned off AFP file sharing and turned on Samba file sharing.

I then shared my user's folder (ie - /Users/jdoe ). I can access this directory from within the Kubuntu system and can create new files and delete the files I just create. However, I cannot delete any pre-existing files within the User's directory.

Now, if I open up Finder, go to my home directory and try to delete or move or copy any files that were pre-existing before I started with all of this... it asks me for my password for the current folder.

If I go in Finder and create a new file, I can delete it, move it, edit, etc without being asked for my password.

Does anyone have any insights?

Thanks,
    Scubes13

2. scubes13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just as another note, if I disable sharing, then I can begin to move/copy files from the home directory without being asked for permission/password.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
    Scubes13

3. scubes13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so maybe this is the default behavior - if so, anyway to turn it off?