SMB Shares in Snow leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pmalbs, Sep 14, 2009.

1. pmalbs macrumors newbie

Jun 19, 2009
    Hi All,

I am running Snow Leopard on a new Power Mac which is part of a windows network. On the Windows server, there are a couple of shares that I would like the mac to use.

I can manually connect to them and browse ok, but what I would really like to do is have them automatically load on startup and display on the desktop. I have tried connecting to the them and then dragging them into the login items, but on restart, they dont appear on the desktop.

I am a bit of a Mac newbie, so the chances are I'm doing something dumb! Any help will be appreciated.

2. phinsup macrumors 6502

Sep 19, 2008
    SE Florida
    This appears to be some sort of bug, I have been having the exact same issue since the SL upgrade. They connected perfectly on reboot under leopard, not so under SL.

There seems to be a few bugs with the samba shares, I've got a topic going on the apple forums about it and you aren't alone.
  3. jman240 macrumors 6502a

May 26, 2009
    Apple Script FTW

For automounting a smb share I use the following script:

tell application "Finder"
    mount volume "SMB://<WORKGROUP>;<USER>:<PWD>@<SERVER>/<SHARE>"
    on error
    display dialog "There was an error mounting the Volume." & return & return & ¬
    "The server may be unavailable at this time." & return & return & ¬
    "Please inform the Network Administrator if the problem continues." buttons {"Okay"} default button 1
    end try
    end tell
    I hope it helps. And of course, this goes into the StartupItems.