Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kiteboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2014
Hi all

Im stumped at the moment - trying to set up a mac OS X mavericks to connect to a windows machine for a friend

The windows machine has a static ip along with the mac too

The windows 7 machine has been set to share one of its drives with everyone and set to full control

No matter what I try I cannot connect to the windows machine or vise versa for that matter

They both belong to WORKGROUP - to add to the confusion friend says the windows machine does show up sometimes but not others!!!

Anybody give me any advice please - Im completely stuck - all the guides ive tried fail

Ive tried cifs and smb on the mac too - still no joy

Thanks anyone

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Does the Windows 7 machine have a firewall running on it?

Are you using Finder > Go > Connect to Server ... to connect to the Windows share? smb://machinename/sharename

kiteboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2014
Does the Windows 7 machine have a firewall running on it?

Are you using Finder > Go > Connect to Server ... to connect to the Windows share? smb://machinename/sharename

Yes doing exactly that

tried with just smb://192.168.1.70
tried cifs also

and then smb://192.168.1.70/D:\

just tried again tonight and I cant ping the windows machine - the default windows 7 firewall is on - will investigate some more did try turning that off last night with no luck

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Yes doing exactly that

tried with just smb://192.168.1.70
tried cifs also

and then smb://192.168.1.70/D:\

just tried again tonight and I cant ping the windows machine - the default windows 7 firewall is on - will investigate some more did try turning that off last night with no luck
Just to make the troubleshooting easier, I'd leave the Windows Firewall off until you've got everything working.

When you setup the share on the Windows box, what did you call it? It's unusual (to me, anyway) to see a : in the name. I usually run into share names like D (minus the colon) when D:\ is being shared. When you map to that, it'd just be smb://192.168.1.70/D

kiteboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2014
Just to make the troubleshooting easier, I'd leave the Windows Firewall off until you've got everything working.

When you setup the share on the Windows box, what did you call it? It's unusual (to me, anyway) to see a : in the name. I usually run into share names like D (minus the colon) when D:\ is being shared. When you map to that, it'd just be smb://192.168.1.70/D

Thanks it was the router afterall - rebooted it and everything started working

Finally

Thanks guys

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.