Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hehe299792458

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 13, 2008
I've been encountering this error whenever I transfer large amounts (10GB+) of data from my Mac to smb shares on my PC:

"The Finder can't complete the operation because some data in "iTunes" can't be read or written. (Error code -36)"

After I encounter this error, I can't write/read anything from all the SMB shares I have connected on my Mac. When I open them, they are just blank (like a folder with no content in it) and if I try to write anything to them (even if it's just a single file), it gives me Error Code -41. I also can't disconnect from the smb server. Relaunching Finder doesn't do anything. I have to restart my computer to get it working again. Any ideas? Thanks! :D

Sorry, I think I posted this in the wrong section. Could a mod please move it to the OS X section? Thanks.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 83
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 96

ryan42

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2003
Near Houston, TX
I have happily completely left the PC world but I still have to support them for my job every single day. I never have this problem on PC networks but my one client that has a hybrid PC/Mac network experiences this.

It seems that the samba daemon on the PC actually dies because once the Mac can't read the data from the server nothing else can either.

The solution that we came up with was just to use the Windows PC to copy to the Mac, instead of the Mac pulling from the PC.

hehe299792458

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 13, 2008
I have happily completely left the PC world but I still have to support them for my job every single day. I never have this problem on PC networks but my one client that has a hybrid PC/Mac network experiences this.

It seems that the samba daemon on the PC actually dies because once the Mac can't read the data from the server nothing else can either.

The solution that we came up with was just to use the Windows PC to copy to the Mac, instead of the Mac pulling from the PC.

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I think my situation differs slightly from that of yours. After I encounter the error on my Mac, I can still read data from my server from other (windows-based) computers. However, I do need to restart the Windows server if I want to read data from my Mac again (restarting the mac alone does not solve the problem). Is this what you've encountered? Thanks

hehe299792458

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 13, 2008
Someone? Anyone? This is extremely annoying. It reminds me of years ago when I couldn't get file sharing permissions to work on XP and had to shuttle data on USB sticks, which is what I'm doing now....

What does OS X use for its native file sharing duties? Bonjour? AFP? Is there a way I could get Windows to use that protocol instead of SMB to share my files with my Mac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.