SMB2 Transfer Speed

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nope7308, Feb 14, 2014.

1. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

I have an SMB2 connection between my desktop PC and rMBP, but the transfer speed differs depending on which machine initiates the transfer.

For example, I have 1.7GB file on the rMBP that I want to transfer to the PC. If I initiate the file transfer from the rMBP, it takes about 10-12 minutes to complete. If I initiate the same file transfer from the PC, it only takes 1-2 minutes.

Since I'm transferring the same file, over the same network, using the same parameters, why does it take longer if I initiate the transfer from the rMBP? This just makes no sense to me. Any help would be appreciated.

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

This is because SMB2 was updated SMB but your network NAS is still using SMB 1 - the original.

So what version of OS X Mavericks are you suing? What version of Windows is running? Plus what string are you connecting to the NAS?

3. nope7308 thread starter macrumors 65816

nope7308

I'm running Mavericks 10.9.1, Windows 8.1 Pro, and my router is the latest airport extreme.

How do I configure the connection for maximum speed?

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

5. nope7308 thread starter macrumors 65816

nope7308

I'm not running an NAS setup; I'm just trying to share files between the two computers.

I already have the sharing permssions enabled in the Windows, and the connection does work. It's just a very slow connection (3mb/s, usually), but it works faster when I'm using the PC.

6. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

So how did you connect physically to the PC,Vise-Versa, direct connect, USB, Ethernet through a switch?