SMBD failure, eats all CPU time with aperture

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by tarjan, May 20, 2014.

1. tarjan macrumors regular

I have a system running mavericks and 8gb ram and a ZFS partition running as network storage. I use it as a place to relocate master images in aperture while leaving the main library on my laptop.

Worked great before upgrading to mavericks.

Ever since, everything else is fine. Time machine backups work (sparse bundle mounted then shared, so it appears as an HFS+ file system) and the array itself is shared via the new SMB implementation. AFS won't work because ZFS isn't HFS+ and it won't share anything else without tweaks (that no longer work in mavericks).

If I access the share normally from my laptop (finder) it shows up and works. I can copy files to and from, with only about 5-10% used in SMBD on my network storage system. If I load up aperture, I can edit all of my previously relocated files without issue.

The problem comes only when I attempt to relocate files. It will start the process, a bar will appear at the top of the aperture screen showing progress and.. nothing. Looking on the storage system it will immediately jump to 100% CPU, then after 2-3 minutes 200% and repeat until every processor is at 100% and then SMB shares become unavailable.

I'll get an error saying the files can't be copied in aperture at the point all processors are used. Recovery is to kill the SMBD process, then the share becomes available again, but retrying the relocate command gets me the same symptoms as above.

Any ideas? I was hoping 10.9.3 would solve this issue, but no luck.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Seems like an incompatibility with your ZFS NAS, did you see if there's a patch for your external device. Many NAS units provided updates to make them more compatible to Mavericks, it could be that SMB on Mavericks is not the problem (strictly speaking) but the interaction between Mavericks and your external drive, so much so its preventing you from doing what you want.