SMC 1.6 with 2011 base 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by thadoggfather, Jul 26, 2012.

1. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

Hey, do you guys know if SMC 1.6 with the 2011 i5 base 13" MBA kicks the fans up at all?

I haven't done a firmware update probably since Lion, because I've heard the SMC firmware before the one that came out with PowerNap causes fans to run higher and more often.

This would be a deal breaker for me because as it is, my MBA is quiet.

And afaik, you can't revert SMC updates once they're done right?

Please chime in, thx.

2. asting macrumors 6502

I don't know if there's a definitive answer. It's possible the fans seemed louder because the computer was working under the new install to re-index everything.

3. Ohlias macrumors member

I've got a 13" base MBA and although during the reboot the fans spun up to the loudest setting I have ever heard them at, it only lasted a split second. Once the OS booted back up, everything was back to normal and has been for 24 hours. iStat pro is reporting 1999 rpms-2004 rpms which is what I was getting before while surfing, and they are quiet as a whisper.

I wouldn't' worry about it. And if the fans started acting up, I'd take it to the Apple store.

Good luck.

4. sh4ners macrumors member

i think after i did the dmc 1.6 update..my apple display started to flickers but i did a smc rest. and knock on wood its been stable.... has anyone had this issues with mba and apple display?

5. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

Good to know, thanks!

now i'm less worried about installing it

I'd rather avoid a visit to the store though if it were like unanimously known that that version of SMC kicks the fans up.

But doesn't seem to be the case.