Smc Fan Control 27' iMac's ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by BelowTheBelt, Oct 27, 2009.

1. BelowTheBelt macrumors regular

I would like to know if anyone has tried to use SMC Fan Control with the new iMac's ?

2. 53x12 macrumors 68000

53x12

^ Good thought as I would like to know as well and if manually setting the fan control might help with the heat buildup issue.

3. BelowTheBelt thread starter macrumors regular

I have had an email out to the writer of the application, I am waiting to hear back to see if it will be in his/her scope to have the application compatible with the new iMacs both C2D, i5 & i7

When I have an answer I will post it.

Until then it would be cool if someone would test it out.

4. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

I don't think its really necessary. I installed it on mine, and promptly removed it because my iMac stays at around 30-31C when browsing, iChat, and listening to music. If I'm watching a Blu-Ray rip (H264/MKV), temps hover around 34C. To be honest, I have not seen it go over 45C.

5. BelowTheBelt thread starter macrumors regular

You can see all of the fans through the software, and adjust them all independently ?

Thanks for your answer :)

If so I am not going to worry about the heat issue.

6. ConanTheBarber macrumors newbie

imac 27" smcfancontrol

You can control all your fans with smcfancontrol.

its a little tricky but just try it out.

Im not sure if to set up my favorites for each fan seperately or for all fans together.

What are your thoughts?

7. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

What heat buildup issue?

My 2.93GHz i7 gets pretty warm when encoding a video with HandBrake, but with all 8 virtual cores maxed out at near 100% for 15+ minutes or more, I expect it to get hot. The fans come on as they should, they cool the machine down, and when the processing is done the fans eventually slow. The iMac is designed to deal with the heat.

8. ConanTheBarber macrumors newbie

HI

my imac is totally cool even while playing far cry 2 for 2 hours. only at 65° dont get me wrong. i just like to have control if i need it.

9. aki macrumors 6502a

I run smcfancontrol on the i7 iMac and it operates normally as fan as I can see.

It's very simple to configure.

10. ferrarofilms macrumors member

Installing smcfancontrol

I tried to install smcfancontrol on my 2.93 Quad Imac and it calls to be installed but never opens. It appears on Activity monitor but does not work, even putting it on the Applications folder.

11. rnb2 macrumors regular

I use iStat Menus 3 on my 2009 i7 to keep it cooler during the summer - with a Drobo and a RAID 5 enclosure on my desk, there's no danger of the iMac's fans being too loud by comparison. I've turned them back down for the colder months.

12. Zach Schible macrumors member

Zach Schible

I use it on my iMac and it works great. I use mostly as a preemptive measure to raise the fan speeds when I am doing heavy editing or video work. Seems to make things run smoother.

13. ferrarofilms macrumors member

Fans speed

Zach
    Can you raise and lower the speed of the fans with this software or it it only a diagnostic system?
    Thanks

14. Zach Schible macrumors member

Zach Schible

Yes you can control the speed all the way from their lowest speeds to their highest. SMC make it pretty easy to control with a dialogue box in your menu bar. On my old MBP it was essential in ever getting anything done. I would leave it maxed out all the time since heat would slow it down so much. On my new iMac however I keep the fans just below half power when doing heavy work, I let OSX decide if it needs to go higher than that.

15. ferrarofilms macrumors member

Thanks. I already purchased Istat.
    Temperatures this morning (leaving the Imac on during night) were 35-40 for CPU, 19 for display proximity 48 for graphics, after two hours editing they raised to 60-33-57. I gess that keeping the fans at half speed is a good decision and follow up.

16. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

how about istat?

17. Zach Schible macrumors member

Zach Schible

iStat from what I know doesn't give you as much control and flexibility as SMC fan control.

18. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

sure it does.

19. ferrarofilms macrumors member

Istat & smcfancontrol

Well, after installing Istat I found where it was placed smcfancontrol....!!!!!!
    Smc should be used together with temp monitor. Definitively Istat is more complete ($$$$$) and configurable, you can set up a lot of items and among them the speeds as defaults to load instantly. Besides that now I know that my Imac HDD writes and reads at 80MB/s, my FW800 MyBook raid at 60MB/s,
    my FW800 external at 40MB/s and the USBs and SDHC at around 20MB/s. And there is more....