Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ninja10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Houston, TX
just 2 days ago the SMC fan control start to ask for user password everytime i wake my MBP from sleep. i had install SMC fan control for over 2 weeks now and never did that before until 2 days ago. anyway to turn that off?

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2006
UK
SMC2 asks you for a password every time the machine wakes, i guess as a safety feature. Maybe it auto updated from SMC to SMC2?

mckyvlle

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2007
London, UK
SMC2 asks you for a password every time the machine wakes, i guess as a safety feature. Maybe it auto updated from SMC to SMC2?

No, it should not do that. When installed properly, SMC2 should only ask you for an administrator password once to set up the proper permissions it needs. After that SMC2 can function without asking for your administrator password again.

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2006
UK
No, it should not do that. When installed properly, SMC2 should only ask you for an administrator password once to set up the proper permissions it needs. After that SMC2 can function without asking for your administrator password again.

My bad then :) i installed it how it says :S umm i look into that :)

rexexdesign

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2009
Folder name

Hey, I had the exact same problem. After I read this threat and people said to install it "right" I checked out where I put it in my application folder.
To be more organized, I created subfolders in my Applications Folder.
I.e. System Progz, Tools, Graphic Progz etc. So that they are all at the beginning of the list I added • in front of them to make it "• System Progz". When I installed smcFanControl into that folder it would always prompt for the password, but once I placed it in a subfolder without the • it worked.

Maybe that will help others with the same problem.

greerkenneth

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2015
Quit the App, Place the App, Then Start the App

I had unpacked the zip file in my downloads folder and launched it from there. I then moved it to my applications folder.

It kept asking for my password. I quit the app, made sure it was in my applications folder and then reopened it. Works great now.

bolmsted

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2010
I know this is an old thread but any idea how to get around this prompt for the password for my admin user. I don't have my personal ID in the admin group so I must enter another ID. I tried changing things in my keychain but it isn't doing anything. I emailed the developer and this is all he said and he didn't reply further to my followup :-/

HI Brian,

it saves to the keychain. Pls check if your keychain is ok.

Cheers,

HEndrik

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.