Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

II AndyG33 II

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Illinois
So since hp and other companies released a patch to keep their computer's from dying
which made the fans always be on
what if we used SMC fan control and gave it a minimum speed to keep our vid cards safe...

Whats a good minimum rpm to keep it at????
to make sure the vid card stays safe

Riemann Zeta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
I sure as hell use it. My fan speed is a steady 3500rpm. Better safe than sorry, I figure, considering that the GPU can overheat and fail at any moment.

ajhaji

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006
You're only postponing the inevitable by cranking up the fans. I'd prefer to have the GPU fail while the laptop is still under warranty, than keeping it alive until the day after my warranty expires and then having to shell out big bucks to get it fixed.

II AndyG33 II

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Illinois
You're only postponing the inevitable by cranking up the fans. I'd prefer to have the GPU fail while the laptop is still under warranty, than keeping it alive until the day after my warranty expires and then having to shell out big bucks to get it fixed.

How much longer than 3 years is the computer actually gonna last anyways
i've had my dell dump for a year and its already dieing

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Well I leave my fans at default and I use the GPU every day, and so far it's been great.

bartzilla

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2008
not gonna argue w/ that

Either way, in your position I'd argue with Dell. A new computer absolutely shouldn't be falling apart after a year. It might be 'not what you wanted' or 'a bit slow for what I'm doing now' but it should fundamentally "work" for 2 or 3 years at least.

II AndyG33 II

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Illinois
Either way, in your position I'd argue with Dell. A new computer absolutely shouldn't be falling apart after a year. It might be 'not what you wanted' or 'a bit slow for what I'm doing now' but it should fundamentally "work" for 2 or 3 years at least.

haha it "works"
but...
the RAM does absolutely nothing...
the hardrive is always spinning
im out of hdd
the screen has gone way dim
the case is cracked
single core 1.6
and an onboard vid card

i payed $450
b4 i cared about comptuers :]

mike12806

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2007
Boston, MA
What about when your fan's die? And then you have no recourse because you chose to run them at a higher RPM than Apple wanted them to run at? It's one thing if your GPU fails under no fault of your own, but if your fan's die because you increased their speed, I don't think that would ever be covered. :rolleyes:

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
What about when your fan's die? And then you have no recourse because you chose to run them at a higher RPM than Apple wanted them to run at? It's one thing if your GPU fails under no fault of your own, but if your fan's die because you increased their speed, I don't think that would ever be covered. :rolleyes:

Here we go again, the belief the PWM fans are meant to be run at a lowered speed all the time.......

The fans will last 50,000-60,000 hours at full power. That means somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 YEARS, and that is assuming you have them at 6000RPM all the time, and NEVER shut off or sleep the laptop during that time. Why will they last that long? Because that is the lifespan of computer fans. It hasn't changed much since the days when all computer fans ran at full speed all the time, since they ran straight off the battery/power supply.

MoeOz

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2007
I have a 2.2 MBP purchased on 11.10.07 being running ok till a month ago (10 month's) the GPU gave me a couple of acts then i noticed its idle @ 70c almost all the time with normal usage (safari-itunes-etc ,,) ,so i've been using SMC since then with minimum 4000 RPM fan span all the time & GPU idle @ 55 with no more acts , so after all im feeling better this way even if its not really helping .

anirban

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Houston, TX
My fans idle at 2000RPM
The GPU Diode sticks around 60 degrees C. This is when I am not doing any GPU intensive task.

mox123

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2007
Chicago
i keep my running at 2500rpm....no appreciable increase in fan noise...and my GPU is usually between 53F-55F doing normal tasks like surfing the web and checking emails...

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
Here we go again, the belief the PWM fans are meant to be run at a lowered speed all the time.......

The fans will last 50,000-60,000 hours at full power. That means somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 YEARS, and that is assuming you have them at 6000RPM all the time, and NEVER shut off or sleep the laptop during that time. Why will they last that long? Because that is the lifespan of computer fans. It hasn't changed much since the days when all computer fans ran at full speed all the time, since they ran straight off the battery/power supply.

Well said :)

The beige G3 I've got has had its PSU on for probably six years total operating time, and it's quite all right.

People worry about the most ridiculous things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.