SMC Fan Control -- How high can you safely set fans?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Shelton, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Shelton macrumors member

Hello,

During the summer, I don't have A/C in my house. My temps were getting pretty high, around 55C/130F for processors and up to 78c/172f for ram. That is pretty high, and I suspect it is because the ambient temp in my room is somewhere in the 90s. I am just very acclimated to the heat, and it doesn't bother me.

I downloaded SMC Fan control and bumped the min fan speeds up to:
    1250rpm for Exhaust
    1150rpm for CPU
    800rpm for Power Supply
    1350rpm for HD

This has made a tremendous difference. CPU is down over 20C and ram is down about 30-35C.

Are these fan speeds safe? What are the mac pro fans rated at, and will the increased speed shorten their lifespan? I'd like to keep these current fan speeds if it is safe.

Thanks!

2. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

A bit of topic maybe, does ur ps fans go up as u set them to? Mine don't.. everything else changes as I tell them to. but the ps fans stay w/e the system is telling them.

I would say those speeds are safe for the fans. And if they shorten the life of them fans, well better then about anything else in the MP dieing.

3. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I'd say you have it pretty good. They're slightly higher then normal from what I can tell, but not too high.

4. Shelton thread starter macrumors member

My powersupply fan does go up when I change it in SMC. I just downloaded the latest version probably an hour ago, so maybe that is why? I remember the older version didn't control the PS fan in the same manner it did the others.

5. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

The fans can bump to around 3000 rpm for maximum speed, 1000 is nothing, and mine averages 500-600 rpm even under heavy load.

You'll be fine.

6. Shelton thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! I wonder what the fans max out at? I don't get why the fans remained at such a low speed when things were obviously too hot.

7. Shelton thread starter macrumors member

That's awesome, thanks! The noise levels seems about the same for 1200RPM as it does stock. I am noticing some minor improvements, too.

8. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Heh heh, I remember cranking up my Mac mini's fan to 5500 RPM.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH! :D