SMC Fan Control Issue

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Nik73, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Nik73 macrumors regular

Afternoon guys, I've done a search, but can't find an answer anywhere.
    I've used SMC for years on my MBP without an issue, but when I installed it on my 2011 iMac it shows the ODD, HDD and CPU speeds when I open it on the toolbar, though they are greyed out. However, when I go into preferences it only shows left side and right side sliders as if I were running it on a MBP.

It seems there should be the three sliders for ODD, HDD and CPU when it's running on an iMac. I'm running v2.3 and have tried uninstalling, resetting, etc but no joy. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Technobable macrumors newbie

I'll have to confirm when I get home, but I'm 99% certain that I have 3 sliders on my 27".

Have you tried deleting and re-installing?

3. DJJAZZYJET macrumors 6502

4. Nik73 thread starter macrumors regular

I've tried everything, including resetting the smc and pram, but no joy. I think it's got something to do with me migrating everything to the iMac from my old MBP, but buggered if I can sort it.

5. Nik73 thread starter macrumors regular

I think that something got screwed up with the migration to be honest. Even when I quit SMC the fans keep running at a higher speed. Resetting doesn't stop them either, only sleep and then waking up seems to sort it.

Also, when I uninstall, restart and reinstall SMC, it remembers all my settings. I've never had this before with a program, normally once it's gone there's no trace.
    Is there something else I need to get rid of? Cheers.