SMC fan control, WoW and a Belkin cooling stand

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iWright, Aug 15, 2009.

1. iWright macrumors member

I'm planning on installing World of warcraft on my 13" Macbook Pro (2.53Ghz 4gb) I've purchased a belkin cooling hub and I'm wondering if that is a substitute to installing SMC fan control because I'd rather not cause un-necessary wear-and-tear on the Macbook pro's fans, any thoughts welcome...

2. adamk77 macrumors 6502

In my experience, cooling hubs do not work well with the Aluminum MBP.

The best cooling I get is if I place my MBP on a cold, flat surface made of metal. It acts like a big heat sink as it the heat from the MBP is transferred to the desk.

3. iWright thread starter macrumors member

Ahh my Desk is wood so not much good there, I'm rather happy with the hub though, any thoughts on a program to monitor temperature (preferably freeware) so that I can compare the temperature with the hub on and with it off?

4. Unique Visuals macrumors regular

I use iStat Pro and iStat menus http://islayer.com/apps/

5. iWright thread starter macrumors member

ok I downloaded iStat Pro and compared the temperatures during movie editing when the hub was on and off and found the CPU temperature is 10〬C more without the hub. The laptop actually feels hotter without the hub aswell

6. iWright thread starter macrumors member

UPDATE: I went ahead and downloaded SMC fan control, finding that the cooling hub was not as effective after an extended period of movie editing. Now all I really need to know is how many rpm is sufficient to keep the fans in good shape but still keep the CPU at a nice temperature

7. Trexznl macrumors member

If I were you, I'd just skip the whole "installing" WoW thing. It's just... pure abuse for a small and innocent MacBook to have WoW on it..
    (Not to mention: WoW sucks).

But if you must feed your addiction (which I honestly wouldn't recommend): try smcFanControl with a fanspeed of 4000 RPM and fire it up before starting WoW.