smc fan control

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Forest91, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Forest91 macrumors member

Just downloaded and installed this app, been using it for a few hours, I am a fan. Just a quick question, it won't seem to let me set the minimum fan speed below 2000rpm (the standard level for the app), is this normal, I thought I remembered the apple default being lower?

thanks

edit: 15inch UNI MBP, 2.4 ghz, 2g ram, 250hd by the way

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

On a MBP the default is 2000 RPM, the MB has 1800 RPM if remember correctly, and the iMac has around 1300 RPM.

So 2000 RPM will be the lowest you get from SMC Fan Control, but Fan Control will get you below the 2000 mark to 1300 RPM, but the MBP is a hot machine and needs those 2000 RPM.

3. Forest91 thread starter macrumors member

ok, and will smc automatically adjust to rising temperatures, or is it simply a manual application where rpm is selected via the menubar?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

SMC is for manually adjusting the temperature via the Menu Bar and the presets you set up, and Fan Control is automatically adjusting the speed of the fans to the temperature after a preset algorithm, that you can change to your liking.

5. Forest91 thread starter macrumors member

Right ok I think I get it, so apples standard fan speeds are in place until you change it manually with smc? Is the default setting apples own configuration?