SMC Fan Control

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by powerhouse7, Apr 23, 2010.

1. powerhouse7 macrumors regular

Hi,
    I've been using my 27" iMac for a few months now, and am monitoring it with iStat Menus, and I want to know if I should install and start using SMC Fan Control.

My CPU idle's around 35 degrees Celsius (95 F) and peaks around 45 C (113 F). That doesn't worry me too much (btw, its the i7 processor).

The GPU is an ATI Radeon HD 4850. It idle's around 50 C (122 F) and peaks at 80 C (176).

I've done some research and it seems these temperatures are not severely harmful and in the norm, but I want to preserve the life of this computer for as long as possible (i'm not in the habit of spending $3500 every few years for a new computer)

If I were to install and SMC Fan Control and set each fan to 50% would it be beneficial to my hardware? and also would it be bad for the actual fans?

Thanks for any help. I really appreciate it!

:apple:

2. mac2x macrumors 65816

I think SMC is most useful for notebooks. As long as temperatures aren't approaching 100 C, I think it will be fine.

3. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

I have a notebook and installed SMC fan control. I did not see it really do much, but saying that I am not a power user and don't normally see my CPU above 60 C very often.

4. celticpride678

Those are pretty good temperatures. Unless they get higher, I would say that installing smcFanControl would be pointless and could damage the fans.

5. powerhouse7 thread starter macrumors regular

My temperature quotes are wrong.

The CPU actually idles at 49 C (120 F) and I don't know what it peaks at.

The GPU idles at 60 C (140 F) and still peaks at 80 C (176)

Are these temperatures still cool enough not to warrant the use of SMC Fan Control?

Also, whats the go on voiding your warranty?

Thanks for any reply's!

6. celticpride678

You don't really have to worry about the graphics card temp.

The CPU temperature is still fine for use without smcFanControl.

smcFanControl does not void your warranty.

7. prss14 macrumors regular

prss14

It doesn't sound like your are in crazy high numbers. I dont think you need a major increase in your fan speed, but if you want install the fan control and just lower the temp threshold a little go for it. Lowered mine on the MBP just a little and like the temps better now.

8. IrishTiger macrumors regular

I wouldn't say you need to worry about it. My MacBook Pro got pretty hot on my lap, so I got SMC and fixed the problem. I keep my fans at 4000rpms. Now, when I'm encoding or doing other heavy heavy work, the fans will be running at 6000rpms and SMC will display like 83 degrees... it gets warm. I wouldn't say 50 is anything to be concerned about. :)

9. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Personally, I would install it. My first MBP disk fried after a few months. The I installed smcfancontrol. My second disk, and, the disk on my second MBP, never fried. Could be a coincidence, but, I turn up the fan whenever the hard drive temp goes over 40C and I stop to cool off whenever I go above 50C. Some MBP's get extremely hot. I don't know about iMac's cooling. I wish MBP's had more aggressive cooling.