SMC Fan Controler question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dvin, Aug 10, 2009.

1. dvin macrumors member

I have installed the SMC fan controller and i have a question...
    why won't the fans stay at the speed that i set in the preferences? i set them both to 4200 RPM & save the settings, but the fans only speed up for a couple of seconds and then return to the default setting...

any suggestions?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What's the version of smcFanControl have you installed?

I have this app running right now and my fans are banging away at 3k. I've never experienced the issue you're describing. Btw, I have version 2.2.2 installed

3. celticpride678

If your computer is not at a high temperature (please tell us current temp.), the application will realize that and then change the RPM's
    accordingly to match the temperature, not the user input. The same thing happens to me.

If you want this feature, check out Fan Control for Mac.

4. dvin thread starter macrumors member

Im running version 2.2.2 ...currently the fans idle around 3600 RPM adn the temp is consistently between 45 C & 51 C. i know thats not a critical temp, but i don't understand why the fans won't continue to run.

thanks for your help.

I've tried the Fan control app, and it seems to me that the temp reading is way off...by around 20 degrees.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My version of smcFanControl doesn't do this and it kind of flies in the face of what the utility is for. Manual control of the fans. I set the RPMs and my fans stay there. If the heat increases and i leave the fans at the default speed they do go faster but if the temps are down, the fan speed does not decrease.