smc fan speed questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marshallbedsaul, Dec 27, 2010.

1. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

Hello,
    If I keep my controls at 6k rpm all the time when my macbook pro 2.66ghz early 08 model is on will it mess anything up? I have recently started doing a lot of editing on the system and noticed it gets really hot, so i installed smc raised the rpm and it keeps things cool. So will this cause any problems thank you.

2. dtblaze macrumors regular

6k rpm is a lot...my average rpm is 2k = 35-40 degrees centigrade.

3. marshallbedsaul thread starter macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

I know its a lot I am just trying to make sure my macbook can handle this with out having any problems

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What's your temperature when you leave the fans at 2k?

I think you risk long term fan damage by running the fans full bore all the time. Plus your battery life is going to be dreadful and the noise it generates is less then pleasing.

I've found that for most tasks the laptop runs between 35 - 55c and that's well within the CPU temperature ratings, heck the CPU can run as hot as 100c before shutting down (to prevent heat damage).

5. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

The bearings in the fans will wear out faster if you do that. Find a cheap laptop cooling pad and use that instead of overworking the fans inside the computer.

6. RT2020 macrumors regular

Fans are cheap and they are relatively easy to replace. Sure your macbook pro can run up to 100c. But, do you know what 90c does to your Macbook Pro in the long run? Logicboard failure.

7. brandon.8602 macrumors member

You'll burn out your fan faster keeping it at 6000 RPM.
    Other than that there aren't any problems with liking a truly "cool" computer

8. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

I'm not really sure that it's anything that you need to be concerned about. The older machines do tend to run bit hot. The fans are designed to come on when needed to prevent system failure. I had the same machine that you had, and I used to monitor the temps and fans alot and the reality was that it wasn't necessary. I never had any problems due to overheating no matter what I was doing with the machine. And I never adjusted the fans.

I would suggest not running the fans that fast. The machine may run cooler, true, but you will burn them out and they will need to be replaced. I would suggest, as others have, to get an external cooling device or even the ilap, which I use and is excellent.

9. marshallbedsaul thread starter macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

I may invest in a cooling fan also I have applecare will changing the speeds mess or void my warranty.

10. dtblaze macrumors regular

35 C constant...but I use a iLap which helps

11. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Why do people think that heat is so detrimental to laptops and hard drives?

The MBP and all laptops are configured for ideal thermal regulation. Running constantly at 6k can have affects on the computer that go beyond wearing the fan out prematurely.