SMC FanControl alternative for Win 7 under BootCamp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kanit, Jul 31, 2011.

1. kanit macrumors member

Is there a alternative to SMC FanControl in Win 7 runnning under bootcamp, i currently boot into OSX set the fan speed using SMC and reboot into WIN 7, is there an easier way to do it directly in Win 7.

2. kanit thread starter macrumors member

Thx, it says it is for NVIDIA, would it work on the newer MBPs with AMD cards?? Anyway gonna try it.

3. MagnusVonMagnum, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012

MagnusVonMagnum macrumors 601

MagnusVonMagnum

Lubbo's didn't work on my 2008 MBP with NVidia 8600M GT. It gave a startup error and quit.

Input Remapper behaves fairly haywire (keyboard backlight, etc. is unstable) and hasn't been updated in ages.

MacFan works, but you have to use a freaking command prompt in Windows to set it (i.e. not exactly Mac friendly; I'd like a nice system tray program with a slider to set the minimum speeds and remember it on reboots).

I'm in the process of trying to try iFanAutoControl, but I have to update my .Net framework first apparently in XP. I rarely use XP on my MBP, but I'm away for several days at a stretch right now and I wanted to try a few Steam games in Windows (got some for OSX as well, but obviously not all games are available for OSX).

I also discovered my system will not wake from sleep in Windows XP Pro. It crashes with a blue screen of death EVERY SINGLE TIME (never happens in OSX 10.6.8 which is what I run on the Mac side). I thought maybe it was Input Remapper so I uninstalled it and it still crashes. I'll check for a video driver update next I suppose, but it's a mystery at this point, unless it's AVG 2012 (temporarily turning off its services didn't help and there's no way to turn it of 100% except to uninstall it which is a royal PITA if it's not the issue).

Basically, Windows on a Mac seems half-baked. Apple didn't think of everything and obviously don't care to. But then they don't have proper fan control in OSX either. I had to get SMCFan control to make sure my 8600M GT doesn't overheat (what with the chip failures on that GPU). Too bad there's not a Windows equivalent for it.

Edit:

iFanAutoControl appears to work, but there's no control over the fan speed settings (i.e. no minimum or manual overrides). The default settings seem acceptable so far, though. It did ramp up the fans while displaying 1080P video for long periods of time, etc. and updating the NVidia drivers supposedly added full hardware acceleration for HD Video for Flash and what not (i.e. YouTube) whereas this model (8600M GT) has no such support from Apple's drivers in OSX. Now if only I could get Sleep to work without crashing in Windows mode (latest video drivers and removing input keymapper did not help; it still crashes, although I think it does give a different error now, but it goes by so fast before resetting automatically I can't read it; the error changed when I uninstalled input keyremapper).

I get a irql_not_less_or_equal error with standby now.

Edit:

My blue screen of death problems coming out of Standby mode in Windows were caused by the 1394 Firewire drivers from Microsoft (as I found out when I installed their debugging tools). I FIXED the problem by replacing them with Unibrain Firewire drivers (claim to be the only 100% FW800 compatible drivers for Texas Instrument chipsets in XP) and all my problems are resolved (and I assume FW800 will now work correctly in XP as well; I've only used FW in OSX so I can't verify that). You can get the Unibrain drivers off their website (http://www.unibrain.com/download/download.asp) if you're having similar issues.

4. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

+1

Can confirm it works on the lot, though not tried it out on the new Mac Pro yet.