Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andychris02

macrumors member
Original poster
HI,

Had my iMac for a couple of weeks now and was just wondering if anyone had advice for SMC fan settings. I pretty much have mine set at 1700 / 2500 / 2000 for regular use and for gaming (mainly under Windows XP) I have them set at 1800 / 3100 / 2400 (I have an external DVD drive for XP use so I don't worry about changing the Drive fan).

My temps seem to stay pretty good, the HD ranges between 45 - 53/4'ish ºC and after checking other posts about temps I am pretty certain my othertemps are in the normal range.

Is that fan setting too high for gaming? I'm mainly worried that these settings will stuff up the fans quicker. Or am I just being paranoid!

Thanks in advance.

blurb23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
I keep mine set at 1800/1800/1800, if that helps at all.

My hottest temp right now is the Airport Card at 53 (with the AC card off, oddly enough) with an ambient of 31.

aki

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2004
Japan
i have same imac config as u......the only thing i worry is my hd temp when gaming in windows or when doing long renders and such

i aim for hd 50 or under 50....usually after playing a long game in windows i find my hd temp is 47-55 which is hot but better than no smcfancontrol!!

because win gaming seems to really heat the imac my default settings for windows gaming are quite high - my 3 sliders are between 1/2 and 3/4 mostly.... basically every time i boot back to osx i just check istat pro to decide if i need to make the fans a bit faster

its noise but less than my g5 :eek: and i dont want to loose the hd if i can.....im not worried about fan wear coz 1 my g5 fans went like this 24/7 for years and were ok and 2 broken fan is better than broken hd!!

Magritte

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
HI,

Had my iMac for a couple of weeks now and was just wondering if anyone had advice for SMC fan settings. I pretty much have mine set at 1700 / 2500 / 2000 for regular use and for gaming (mainly under Windows XP) I have them set at 1800 / 3100 / 2400 (I have an external DVD drive for XP use so I don't worry about changing the Drive fan).

Huh, on my late-2006 iMac I just reinstalled smcFanControl and the minimum is 3310/4178/2472; max is 4600/5600/3200. Doesn't seem like much of a range and not sure how to adjust for gaming.

andychris02

macrumors member
Original poster
is there smc fan control for Windows that can set fans in Mac hardware?

Mate,

I don't think there is a fan control app that works for Windows, XP anyway. SMCFancontrol will work under windows, you just set it to the settings you want under OsX and then restart your mac under Windows, the settings you had set when you restarted will stay when you start up in Windows.

By the way, c'mon the Wallabies in the Tri-Nations!

And thanks for the replies, will stick to the settings that I have, they seem to be doing the job, HD stays at about 49/50ºC when gaming now and my CPU and GPU temps stay pretty good too, even playing graphics heavy games like Crysis.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.