smc fancontrol

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tony3d, Aug 11, 2012.

1. tony3d macrumors 6502

Is there anyone out there using SMC Fancontrol on a 12 core Mac Pro's? How fast do you run the fans? Just wondering? Has anyone had trouble with this program? Seems like a smart idea to run the Mac Pro as cool as you can. I render in Lightwave sometimes 24 hrs a day at times, and my small office does stay a bit warmer than the rest of the house.

2. d-m-a-x macrumors 6502

Start with temperature monitor. Search the internet for some typical MP temps, and compare them to yours. With a brand new Mac, you probably dont need smc. On my MP - the nothbridge heatsink was too hot, so i replaced the thermal paste. My smc has a minimum setting of 800 rpm on all the fans. This is because it's a mac pro 1,1 with everything upgraded and running lion, so it runs hotter than a current / unaltered mac

3. Mengele macrumors member

The issue I have with SMC is that the minimum speed it will set is 1600rpm, which makes it much louder than the average 975rpm I see with it off.

4. tony3d thread starter macrumors 6502

the minimums on mine are 600-800.

----------

how hot was your northbridge running? My Northbridge chip runs at 170F.

5. d-m-a-x macrumors 6502

mine was 82c. 78c after the thermal paste, then 75c after i bumped the fans up to 800 rpm