SMC fix for "Service Battery"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by prism, Apr 19, 2014.

1. prism macrumors 6502a

The battery on my 3 y.o. MBP recently started displaying "service battery". It happened abruptly and after only 500+ cycles, half of the expected amount for this type of battery.
    I did the standard shift-ctrl-opt and power boot procedure and 3 full charge/discharge cycles and it didn't do anything.
    I remember reading somewhere that you can do an SMC reset where you unplug the battery, connect the magsafe and press the power button (or something like that) as a last resort. Anyone know anything about this?
    TIA

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Nothing you can do can change your service battery message. It simply means that your battery health has dipped below a certain percentage (I believe the message appears at 70%, but I could be wrong) and that it needs replacing.

Now, you don't need to run out and buy a new battery. Just keep in mind that when nearing their end-of-life, LiPo batteries can swell quite a bit and this could damage your computer. If your trackpad ever becomes hard to click, have your battery replaced quickly, as it has started to swell.

3. niteflyr macrumors 6502a