Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

South657

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2014
portsmouth UK
Are you pulling my leg? I mean I have looked ALL OVER that board with a high power magnifier and the ONLY numbers I see are the 6T193 to the left of the fan wires. That number in particular came out clear & sharp in the photo attached but the other shots I took of the board don't have that level of clarity on those numbers.

If you could post a pic of 1 or two examples I may be able to spot it, but man I have spent 20 minutes looking and the 6T193 are the only numbers I see, NONE with 800 in them. None.

As for batteries not being much, well, the best price I could find on one was over 60 bucks. There was a time when I didn't think that was much but that time is not not now.

I use a 1TB drive, and as yest there are no SSDs that big. I could go for that hybird 1TB drive, it is a good price, but I'm not that much of a performance hound now. Just don't have the $ for it. I haven't looked into the reliability specs on the hybrids either, so unless their much greater than std drives I don't think I'd go for one. Although $100 for a 1TB hybrid sounds like a fantastic price!

HI motechman,

No we do not pull legs on this thread we haven't time LOL A1278 macbook pro 13 mid2010 820-2879-B this might be the number on the board you can search the thread for the schm. or google it. Any way if you change the key board do a pram reset i think you will be good.
let us know how you get on.

HDD the way to go is to keep the 1tb hard drive and back up on it and use 120Gig SSD for osx and programmes only, if you have a lot of programmes you would have to go up a bit. the idea is that if SSD fails its no problem as all is backed up. I have converted a lot of MBP's to this take out Supper drive and replace with int caddy. The speed of SSD is worth it don't agonise over reliability.

Regards

south657

mvmanolov

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2013
.brd for 820-3115-B

Hi there,

Does anyone have the board view .brd for a 820-3115-B and are willing to share it?

i'd much appreciate it.

Thanks.

EDIT: Found it :D

Last edited:

mvmanolov

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2013
Please help a noob!

So, i have a 820-3115 2012 MBP 2.5 i5

the computer turns on, works perfectly fine for about 15 minutes then shuts down without any warning or indication why. After that:

1) if on battery alone: it will not turn on at all for about 2 minutes following which it will turn on but shut down immediately.

2) if connect to power: it will turn on but will shut down immediately.

if i wait for a while (i never actually timed it, i could if it may help diagnose) it will turn on work perfectly fine and after 15 or so minutes it will shut down again repeating the cycle i described above.

I now have both the board view and the schematic of the board but since i've never done anything like this, i have no idea where to start or what to look for...

any guidance/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

kokito

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2014
HI, i'm new in this forum and i have a question:
i have a macbook pro (mid2010) A1297, 820-2849
with an 85 W charger, battery and MagSafe-DC-In-Board all new and working
but the battery is discharged only 10 mv left
No response to power button. No response to standard SMC reset procedure.
light green on magsafe but do not charge the battery
here i attachted some mesurments that i made with fine tips and a digital multemeter
sorry i i gave too much info at start
any help would be appreciated.
if anyone needs k17 or k92 or k6 shematics ,let me know because i have them.
sorry for my english

Attachments

• Magsafe power.jpg
    Magsafe power.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 5,715
  • Battery connector.jpg
    Battery connector.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 3,358
  • G3HOT.jpg
    G3HOT.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 2,289
  • u7000.jpg
    u7000.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 2,330
  • u7000 2.jpg
    u7000 2.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 1,808
Reactions: alexmaq

mvmanolov

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2013
So, i have a 820-3115 2012 MBP 2.5 i5

the computer turns on, works perfectly fine for about 15 minutes then shuts down without any warning or indication why. After that:

1) if on battery alone: it will not turn on at all for about 2 minutes following which it will turn on but shut down immediately.

2) if connect to power: it will turn on but will shut down immediately.

if i wait for a while (i never actually timed it, i could if it may help diagnose) it will turn on work perfectly fine and after 15 or so minutes it will shut down again repeating the cycle i described above.

I now have both the board view and the schematic of the board but since i've never done anything like this, i have no idea where to start or what to look for...

any guidance/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

So there is an update to the above.

I disconnected the battery and tried to run it directly off the power adapter with the same results....

following that i bypassed the SMC (with the battery still disconnected) by unplugging the megasafe pressing and holding the power button and reconnecting the megasafe. The fan is running at full speed but it has been working without shutting down now for over 2 hours....

I have no idea what that may mean... anyone?

Thanks again!

ZZZAC

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2013
ALB repairs uk
So there is an update to the above.

I disconnected the battery and tried to run it directly off the power adapter with the same results....

following that i bypassed the SMC (with the battery still disconnected) by unplugging the megasafe pressing and holding the power button and reconnecting the megasafe. The fan is running at full speed but it has been working without shutting down now for over 2 hours....

I have no idea what that may mean... anyone?

Thanks again!

It means something that comunicates with the SMC is causing it to shut down, Try get ASD for your model and run a sensor test whilst not in SMC bypass maybe thatll give you a clue. Could be the SMC itself, ive seen the 820-3115 smc's failing more commonly under liquid damage

----------

HI, i'm new in this forum and i have a question:
i have a macbook pro (mid2010) A1297, 820-2849
with an 85 W charger, battery and MagSafe-DC-In-Board all new and working
but the battery is discharged only 10 mv left
No response to power button. No response to standard SMC reset procedure.
light green on magsafe but do not charge the battery
here i attachted some mesurments that i made with fine tips and a digital multemeter
sorry i i gave too much info at start
any help would be appreciated.
if anyone needs k17 or k92 or k6 shematics ,let me know because i have them.
sorry for my english

You have either a dead ISL6259 or theres a chance a component on the PBUS line is short and pulling the rail to ground. Start by checking the mosfets for a short circuit if there arnt any shorts it sounds like a dead charging IC.

kokito

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2014
[/QUOTE]
You have either a dead ISL6259 or theres a chance a component on the PBUS line is short and pulling the rail to ground. Start by checking the mosfets for a short circuit if there arnt any shorts it sounds like a dead charging IC.[/QUOTE]

i thank you for taking the time to answer me ,
if possible can you point me to the mofsets i have to check.

Last edited:

mvmanolov

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2013
It means something that comunicates with the SMC is causing it to shut down, Try get ASD for your model and run a sensor test whilst not in SMC bypass maybe thatll give you a clue. Could be the SMC itself, ive seen the 820-3115 smc's failing more commonly under liquid damage

I have both the EFI and the OS based ASD i;ve ran both and in running both it just simply shuts down without any indication as to why.

the computer has never seen any liquid at all around it ever. i ve been quite careful.

i started looking at the various components but the .brd file i have for the 820-3115 is for the B version and mine is the a version (so it doesn't match up) i have never seen anyone talk about 820-3115-A but that is what is says on my board!
:(

In any case though, could you suggest where i should start looking first? the G3HOT gives 3.5v but after that i don't know where to look.

Thanks again!

ZZZAC

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2013
ALB repairs uk
I have both the EFI and the OS based ASD i;ve ran both and in running both it just simply shuts down without any indication as to why.

the computer has never seen any liquid at all around it ever. i ve been quite careful.

i started looking at the various components but the .brd file i have for the 820-3115 is for the B version and mine is the a version (so it doesn't match up) i have never seen anyone talk about 820-3115-A but that is what is says on my board!
:(

In any case though, could you suggest where i should start looking first? the G3HOT gives 3.5v but after that i don't know where to look.

Thanks again!

820-3115A and B should match up just fine, or have very minute differences.
I honestly think youd be barking up the wrong tree to check components if this hasnt been liquid or surge damaged. Its more likely a BGA joint under the SMC or PCH has failed.

I had similar on a 820-3115 recently, i believe the SMC has failed

mvmanolov

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2013
820-3115A and B should match up just fine, or have very minute differences.
I honestly think youd be barking up the wrong tree to check components if this hasnt been liquid or surge damaged. Its more likely a BGA joint under the SMC or PCH has failed.

I had similar on a 820-3115 recently, i believe the SMC has failed

hmm, if its a BGA joint, then, would baking it help?
and if not, what are my alternatives? Does anyone replace SMC chips? or am I SOL and need to buy a new logic board?

Again, thank you so much for taking the time! I truly appreciate it!

South657

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2014
portsmouth UK
hmm, if its a BGA joint, then, would baking it help?
and if not, what are my alternatives? Does anyone replace SMC chips? or am I SOL and need to buy a new logic board?

Again, thank you so much for taking the time! I truly appreciate it!

Is the board getting very hot might just need a good clean and cpu re-paste. Have you removed the board at all? Or the bottom cover to
see if it is dusty, I have removed half a cat from one before cleaned the board, and all good and that one would not turn on at all when i
received it.

Be warned you could end up with it not working at all if you are new to this sort of work, could be best to out it?

Good luck

south657

motechman

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2014
Hi motechman;

The number is on the side you are looking at, they move it around from year to year it will be on the left hand side from the middle just up
from the ram and as far over to the fan connector and up around the edge of the board by the fan wires. It will be on it for sure.

You need to replace the keyboard so you can do a pram reset you can not do it without that key then that should sort out the fan and
other things that might be rong.
Also changing the battery would be a good idea they are not much. And if you want to speed things up go for SSD drive.

Regards

south657

I'll be ordering a new keyboard later today.

BTW, I found the schematic number it's 820-2565-A but it wasn't on the logic board but rather the magsafe connector board. I looked and looked on the logic board and never could find an 820 number on it anywhere. The number was silk-screened on the small magsafe board held in place separately with 2 screws.

I don't know if you can make a sticky post but if you can (or if anyone reading this is an admin that can), it would sure be nice to have a sticky with all of the schematics and board numbers listed.

A comprehensive list would be great, even if the schematics themselves aren't available. Even just a sticky with all of the schematics and .brd files in one place would be nice. It's very difficult to find them in this thread. I have used "820-", "820." and "820 " as search terms, but it's still difficult and I am not sure I found all occurrences.

It just makes sense to make stickies out of things that are commonly requested, and since any serious troubleshooting will usually require a schematic and component layout it makes sense to collect them and put them in a sticky. Saves member's time as well as the forum admin's.

It would be easy for an admin as they could look in the attachments folder of the forum and they would all be under that.

Last edited:

mvmanolov

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2013
Is the board getting very hot might just need a good clean and cpu re-paste. Have you removed the board at all? Or the bottom cover to
see if it is dusty, I have removed half a cat from one before cleaned the board, and all good and that one would not turn on at all when i
received it.

Be warned you could end up with it not working at all if you are new to this sort of work, could be best to out it?

Good luck

south657

the machine does not get excessively hot, i paid attention to istat just before it shut down and the temps are average if not on the low side of life (ex. cpu is around 55C)

i've taken the machine apart and redone the paste with Arctic Silver twice and did a visual inspection of the entire board with a magnifying glass (don't have a microscope) and i don't see noticeable defects.

This is my personal computer and i always keep it clean (i'm sure that most people say that but mine is truly as new). no dust, no grime and most definitely no cat hair (don't own a cat) ;)

i am not new to taking things apart, but i am new to fiddling with component level repairs. I am not comfortable with changing the SMC myself (no experience, nor do i have the tools for it, neither do i wish to buy them) i asked if it can be changed so as to decide if i should send it to a shop that does component level repairs or not bother and sell the thing for parts. if that is not really an option and the logic board is gone, then i loose nothing by baking it in the oven as a last ditch effort. :)

Thank you for taking the time to comment, i appreciate all the help i can get!
M,

South657

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2014
portsmouth UK
I'll be ordering a new keyboard later today.

BTW, I found the schematic number it's 820-2565-A but it wasn't on the logic board but rather the magsafe connector board. I looked and looked on the logic board and never could find an 820 number on it anywhere. The number was silk-screened on the small magsafe board held in place separately with 2 screws.

I don't know if you can make a sticky post but if you can (or if anyone reading this is an admin that can), it would sure be nice to have a sticky with all of the schematics and board numbers listed.

A comprehensive list would be great, even if the schematics themselves aren't available. Even just a sticky with all of the schematics and .brd files in one place would be nice. It's very difficult to find them in this thread. I have used "820-", "820." and "820 " as search terms, but it's still difficult and I am not sure I found all occurrences.

It just makes sense to make stickies out of things that are commonly requested, and since any serious troubleshooting will usually require a schematic and component layout it makes sense to collect them and put them in a sticky. Saves member's time as well as the forum admin's.

It would be easy for an admin as they could look in the attachments folder of the forum and they would all be under that.

Hi motechman,

That No. is the magsafe board No. not the logic board No. The No. I gave you was for a mid 2010 13" MBP. The list on schematics
is vast and the lads put up a few of them from time to time for free. We all thank them for that.

If you type the Magsafe No. in google and then type the No. i gave you then you will see, if you then go on the sites that have them
for sale them you will find it.

Any way let us know after you have fitted the key board and done a pram reset.

Regards

south657

macelek01

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
820-3115 board - turn on, but no video

Hi Everybody,

I'd like to ask some help with a logic board issue.
There's a 820-3115 board, the problem with this is follow:

It able to turn on, with smc and without smc too,
but no video signal, only black screen (isn't backlight problem) and the sleep led is
lighting continously. (doesn't boot up the system, isn't apple chime)
But if I remove the rams, it is beeping to indicate the ram is missing.

I think the problem is the GPU or something else with connecting this, and it is interrupted booting.
I measured the power suppliers, but everything is good except turboboost supplyer. It doesn't get
enable signal, but I think it is controlled by GPU based on graphic power requirement.(or not?)

Has somebody any idea where I should search the reason of faulty?

Thank you!

varungargi

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2013
Hi

I am working on A1369 Macbook. the issue is, it doesn't wakes up from sleep when the lid is opened. The way to power it back on after going to sleep is to do a SMC reset.

Can any one help me in this regard which component to check for ?

In the schematics i could only see "System (Sleep) LED Circuit" which i guess is for backlit, still i had a check on the behavior on the component it looks like its working fine.

Any help will be appreciated . . . .

Also i dont hear the chime as soon as i press the power button or not even after secs it comes like after a min
if i see the logic board i see the fan spins as soon i press the power but it stops for a sec and then starts. it does like this for like 2 times and then i hear the chime sound and then the macbook works fine.

Is it something to do with EFI chip ? I updated to latest EFI SMC Firmware still no change . . . :(

Any help ?

Dadioh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
Canada Eh?
Hi Everybody,

but no video signal, only black screen (isn't backlight problem) and the sleep led is

I think the problem is the GPU or something else with connecting this, and it is interrupted booting.
I measured the power suppliers, but everything is good except turboboost supplyer. It doesn't get
enable signal, but I think it is controlled by GPU based on graphic power requirement.(or not?)

Thank you!

So you are saying it starts but doesn't chime? If so then there is something basic wrong. It is detecting lack of memory so that is one step meaning that the memory controller is functional.

If you are getting a chime then have you tried unplugging the Battery Indicator Light (BIL) cable beside the battery connector? That is what carries the sleep indicator signal to the logic board. If the BIL is defective and telling the computer that the lid is closed then you might get these symptoms. Quick test anyway....

macelek01

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
So you are saying it starts but doesn't chime? If so then there is something basic wrong. It is detecting lack of memory so that is one step meaning that the memory controller is functional.

If you are getting a chime then have you tried unplugging the Battery Indicator Light (BIL) cable beside the battery connector? That is what carries the sleep indicator signal to the logic board. If the BIL is defective and telling the computer that the lid is closed then you might get these symptoms. Quick test anyway....

Thanks for your answer.
Yes, I tried to start without BIL, but the faulty was same as.

South657

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2014
portsmouth UK
Hi Everybody,

Thank you!

Hi macelek,

Look at R7402 test volts both sides of it should be 12.5V.

south657

mvmanolov

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2013

Hi Dadioh,

could a defective BIL be causing my problems as well?

M,

kokito

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2014
hi Evryone

if you have time dadioh or somone else can you take alook at the tumbnails i posted in #2980 ,because i am still loking for PBUS line and the mofsets i have to check

And please take alook at R7058 , R7050 , R7001 because those are the only ones i found differents meseurments that i was supoosed to

thanks

grize

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2012
820-2523-b

Hi,

Please could I have some help diagnosing a faulty 820-2523-B from a 2009 MBP 15".

While I was doing some software updates on the machine for a friend when it powered off. After this it would power on for a while but green light on magsafe, and battery not charging. After this it stopped powering on unless SMC bypass was used. Now it won't power on at all and battery still not charging.

I am getting 3.3V at L7260 but no S0_PWR_GOOD from U7201.

Please can someone advise what is next to check? I have the board view and schematic for this board.

Many thanks.

ZZZAC

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2013
ALB repairs uk
hi Evryone

if you have time dadioh or somone else can you take alook at the tumbnails i posted in #2980 ,because i am still loking for PBUS line and the mofsets i have to check

And please take alook at R7058 , R7050 , R7001 because those are the only ones i found differents meseurments that i was supoosed to

thanks

check Q7055 and Q7056

The R7058 may indicate a shorted fet across that line or nearby.

----------

Hi,

Please could I have some help diagnosing a faulty 820-2523-B from a 2009 MBP 15".

While I was doing some software updates on the machine for a friend when it powered off. After this it would power on for a while but green light on magsafe, and battery not charging. After this it stopped powering on unless SMC bypass was used. Now it won't power on at all and battery still not charging.

I am getting 3.3V at L7260 but no S0_PWR_GOOD from U7201.

Please can someone advise what is next to check? I have the board view and schematic for this board.

Many thanks.

it sounds like your SMC may have failed, it certainly has deteriorate.
if there is no activity atall the only thing you can check is the system RTC, If you get the proper clock signal to the MCP then it should alow the fan to spin, if this signal is missing or incorrect it wont start (this is controlled by the SMC)

checking this is difficult without an Oscilloscope, bu there should be a steady voltage on the clock crystal, usually around 0.8 but dont quote me on that.

Good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.