Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrdunderhead

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2015
You heard it here.

I have a apple developers account and i was shocked looking at the install ESD for El Capitan that there where two folders that made me concerned.

1. SMC Payload: Which contains a SMC firmware update for your macintosh computer.

Weird considering no other mac os x version sense tiger has required a smc update ever in order to run.

This one made me worried.

EFI Payload: these are locked EFi's that get installed on your computer.

no offense but this makes me concerned that apple might be deciding on locking out machines so that can't go backwards to maverick or yosemite.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Might be a patch for the efi issue reported earlier this month

mrdunderhead

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2015
but its weird why would they lock there EFI this means you can no longer update it if another problem shows up

kwokaaron

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
London, UK
You heard it here.

I have a apple developers account and i was shocked looking at the install ESD for El Capitan that there where two folders that made me concerned.

1. SMC Payload: Which contains a SMC firmware update for your macintosh computer.

Weird considering no other mac os x version sense tiger has required a smc update ever in order to run.

This one made me worried.

no offense but this makes me concerned that apple might be deciding on locking out machines so that can't go backwards to maverick or yosemite.
I'm pretty sure Yosemite had these as well...

aldrinjtauro

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2014
Birmingham, AL
Maybe it has something to do with the way Yosemite changed most people's boot screen to black. Come to think of it, I wonder if the models that didn't support the black boot screen also happened to be stuck on EFI V1.. I know a lot of Macs got EFI V2.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
There have been many SMC updates since Tiger.

These are how firmware updates have been named for some time- way before even 10.10 was ever an idea.

Reactions: CanadaMaple
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.