SMC Reset Post Power Outage

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Frost17, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Frost17 macrumors regular

I've been having this problem for over a year now and it's becoming very annoying.

I have a 21" Early 08' iMac and every time the power goes out, I'm forced to do a SMC reset. If I don't, the Mac is unresponsive and doesn't do anything.

Not sure if this is normal, but I highly doubt it. Is there an alternative to fixing this? Or should I just keep doing what I've been?

Thanks.

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

If you have problems with power in your area get an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) then when you have a power outage you can set the machine to shut down properly. Forced shutdowns due to power outages or user error can damage OS X and possibly the hardware. Do yourself a favor and get a UPS!

3. interrobang macrumors 6502

Well, having your power go out frequently is not normal for most of us, so it's hard to say what's "normal" under those circumstances.

If you often have power failures while your system is running, you need to get a UPS.

4. Frost17 thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'll definitely look into a UPS. Outages occur almost monthly and affect the entire neighborhood, even though they only last about a minute or so.