SMC rest switch

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tobytoby, Sep 19, 2007.

1. tobytoby macrumors member

I've been having problems with my MP going to sleep and immediately waking itself up - a case of insomnia if ever there was one! :)

Anyway, the forums suggest an SMC reset might be in order. To this end I have tried in vain to find the SMC reset switch that Apple support docs describe (said to be below the status LEDs). I'm clearly being dim, and try as I might I can't find a picture or anything with Google Images.

Could someone give me a helping hand here and tell me where it's located?

2. D.G. macrumors member

<Deleted, I completely screwed up my reply by somehow thinking this was asking about a MB not a MP. See betelgeuse1's correct link below>

3. betelgeuse1 macrumors member

betelgeuse1

If I remember correctly, you don't need to use the internal switch. Unplug everything from the Mac Pro (include the power cord) for 15 seconds, and they plug everything back in, that should reset it. More information is available here.

4. tobytoby thread starter macrumors member

Thanks betelgeuse1. I saw this on Apple's site, but I wanted to be sure it reset by using the button, but being the dullard that I am I can't find it inside the case!

5. bld44 macrumors 6502

If you have bluetooth, make sure you disable the "allow bluetooth devices to wake this computer" preference in your bluetooth settings.