SMCFanControl 2.1.3.1

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lukin, Nov 11, 2008.

1. lukin macrumors regular

A little while ago I got a notice of an update for SMCFanControl to version 2.1.3.1. I installed it, and when it ran my fans went faster and louder than ever before! Normally surfing the web they were around 2000rpm. After the update SMC reported 7300rpm! I didn't even think they could go that fast.

Anyone else update and get this? It happens when hi set them to 'Higher RPM'. It seems the new version just pushes them as fast as possible all the time.

Is there a better program to control this? I liked the program for keeping my comp cool while gaming, etc.

2. lukin thread starter macrumors regular

Well, it seems like the rpm min was somehow changed to 8000 rpm. Does anyone know what rpm the fans on the new MBP are rated at? I think the old MBP were 6000, so I wonder why SMC lets you ramp it up to 8000.

Also, SMC does not let me set the min below 4000 for some reason. If someone can tell me if this is possible I would appreciate it.

3. EspressoLove macrumors 6502

EspressoLove

Wow, sounds wierd
    Did you resolve this thing?

I do run scripts (sure you did find them here?) to keep "max" under certain levels, but "min" is managed by SMCFC (I still run 2.1 ;))