smcFanControl alternative

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rawd, Jun 2, 2010.

1. rawd macrumors regular

Is there one? It's a great program but I hate the look and feel of it. Maybe bitninja could make one, Cody if you are reading this!

2. bware189 macrumors member

Never use Fan Control. This program requires a pram reset to remove all of its effects, and will break all other fan control programs. Fan Control is evil. iStat menus has a fan control function now, though the program is 10$. I wouldn't say its particularly worth it, but if you're looking for something sleeker, that might be your route.

3. mynewromantica macrumors regular

Why would you need to get rid of fan control? It works great. And besides a pram zap is easy and quick.

I personally use Fancontrol to actually control the fan speed but I use SMCFancontrol to monitor it in the menu bar.

4. bware189 macrumors member

There's a trade off to be made really, as Fan Control can only be accessed from system preferences, and SMC/iStat can be used from the menubar. On top of that, there are no presets for Fan Control, and it only controls the minimum fan speeds. SMC/iStat allow you to make any preset fan speed from 2k-6k rpm, and you don't have to worry about it making any permanent adjustments to your SMC. Beyond that though, Fan Control is nice in that it is automated, and once you set it you can be assured that it will be working fine.

Lastly, I should say that pram resets are easy and quick for someone who has done it. A novice mac user, of which there are infinite, will be scoping the net for something to cool his computer down, and probably never know what pram is. This is a bit of a trap with mac-unorthodox uninstall methods. To reduce this a bit, be weary of Fan Control.

5. gorjan macrumors 6502

But why would you need to control your fans at all? They're set as they should be from Apple, why change it?

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I have a question about smc actually. I recently installed it, and just have it set to about 3000 because my HD has been getting a bit hotter recently, but I let my computer go to the screen saver, then later the display went to sleep. When I woke it up a couple minutes later, the CPU was at 100%, and had been for a couple minutes, and was about 190F. Any correlation between smc and this occurrence? It had never done this before, so I just don't know what it was.

7. vant macrumors 65816

I also hate Fan Control. It feels very primitive to use.

8. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I've use it on my iMac since it was new--certainly far from evil. I don't care if it is pretty or not--does what it needs to do for me so I'm happy.