smcFanControl Fan Setting Recomendation PLEASE

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ratherbfishn, Mar 31, 2011.

1. ratherbfishn macrumors newbie

My imac5,1 has all the problems that everyone else bitches about their iMacs on this board. I just installed smcFanControl. What fan settings should I use? What has worked for you? Thanks

Model Identifier: iMac5,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: IM51.0090.B09

2. simsaladimbamba

Do you experience any high temperatures? Have you monitored the temperatures and the CPU usage yet?

I normally use SMC Fan Control only when the temps rise above 80° C, but that is only during high CPU usage.

3. ratherbfishn thread starter macrumors newbie

65C after 5 mins of Hulu video and slowly climbing. The machine freezes/shuts down after about 10-15 mins of video. Getting random green horizontal lines across the screen too. Not too reliable at this point. Any ideas welcome. Thanks

4. MacHamster68, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

that is far from normal that it is freezing ,i hope you mean the GPU at 65 which would be acceptable when watching flash based things and not the CPU

and yes i start again , clean your iMac inside , very likely as it is a old(more then a couple month) iMac it will be full of dust , and smc will drop the temp a bit , but that is only a short term solution of a couple weeks maybe ,then you have to constantly rise the fan speed again and again until the iMac gives up for good

why is everybody concerned about the temperature but nobody is maintaining his iMac like it should be done regular , even in the cleanest house is dust and the dust gets soaked up inside and clocks up the fin's of the heatsinks of both CPU and GPU

..why is everyone thinking that dust you will only find in ugly windows boxes ?

5. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

65c for the cpu? gpu? hdd? 65c is a perfectly reasonable temperature for the cpu/gpu. Your problem might be stemming from something else.

6. MacHamster68, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

65 degree celsius is not normal for the cpu after just 5 minutes hulu
    my CPU never ever rises above 47 not even when i rip dvd's and convert to avi not even after dozens of dvd's in one go neither when i watch online tv flash based HD content and i only have a old core duo iMac, sure the GPU eventually hits 69 degree which is normal for a GPU
    and my fans only idle along at minimum speeds , but like i said my iMac is clean inside like a operating-theater in a hospital

but the constant rise and of temp inclusive freezing could also mean that maybe one fan is not working any more

7. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

Nah those cpus are rated at 100c. There has to be something wrong hardware wise, as 65c is a perfectly acceptable temperature for a cpu (unless temperature sensor is wrong)

Give hardware test a spin.

8. ratherbfishn thread starter macrumors newbie

Dusting is a good idea. Any other ideas to fix my machine?

I don't know about everyone else, but I opened my imac up about a year ago and replaced a failed HD and added RAM. I dusted thoroughly while I was inside. FWIW, it wasn't too dusty.

I could guess why "everyone" doesn't do it though. It's a pain in the ass to get inside. It's like playing the old board game "Operation". I'd guess it voids the Apple warranty too. I know plenty of people who don't know how to change a car tire.

Jacking up my fans is my last ditch effort with this old girl. I am at most a computer USER. I'd rather be fishing than spending any time keeping a computer running. ...or weeding through snarky online posts in an attempt to extend its life. Precisely the reason I bought an Apple vs. a PC to begin with.

Last try. What min. fan settings has anyone had success with...ODD, HDD,CPU?

Thanks

9. ratherbfishn thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried Apple Hardware Test per these instructions:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509

It wouldn't start the test. I'm guessing it's since I now use Snow Leopard. Is that correct? Do I need the Snow Leopard Disk to to the AHT?

10. ratherbfishn thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't find my snow leopard disk so no Apple Hardware Test for me. Anyone know of a free program which will do the same thing as Apple Hardware Test?

To answer my own previous question: I've bumped up my min fan settings, ODD ~1800rpm CPU ~1400rpm.

With a hulu vid playing and multiple other web pages open, I've had a couple hours of crash or freeze free use. My CPU is holding 45C.

Obviously, I'm NO authority on computer repair, but I did stay in a holiday inn express last night. I'm not claiming victory just yet. Hopefully I can limp a few more months out of my tired iMac.

11. Spike88, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011

Spike88 macrumors 6502a

ratherbfishn

I have a mid-2010 iMac 21.5" with optional SMCFan Control installed. Its HDD fan, Optical drive fan and CPU fans are all set to 1500 RPMs. Its internal temps are much cooler (when compared to factory defaults). re: currently now 17 C to "max" 36 C range. Now, my iMac rarely goes above 45 C. Try setting your fans to minimum at 1,400 RPMs as well. And, set threshold values to 30C (low end) and 75C (high end). This works great for my iMac as well....

Also.... If you feel your iMac is "paging in/out" too much while "under load", it will make your CPU and HDD work much harder. More work = more heat. Use included Activity monitor to investigate memory usage and its "disk thrashing" behaviour. By installing more memory (re: 8 GBs total instead of 4 GBs), your iMac could do less "disk thrashing". Thus, lower inside temps as well - because less paging to its disk (which creates heat). When buying/installing memory, its best to ensure all GBs are the same speed and same company chips. From a white board view, one should never mix memory chips.

Hope this helps...

-------

[​IMG]

12. ratherbfishn thread starter macrumors newbie

Spike,

Spike thanks for the reply. How do I do this?: "set threshold values to 30C (low end) and 72C (high end)."

The max ram is 3GB on this '06 machine. Prior to upgrading, I researched and found that by installing 4GB(matched set of two 2GB), I supposedly get a portion of that last GB. (3+?GB).

Anyone know if there a good way to synch the now ~1500rpm props?:D

I appreciate all the help.