smcFanControl issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kelly™, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Kelly™ macrumors regular

So the other day I installed smcFanControl and it has worked wonderfully.
    However now whenever I start my machine the fans spin at 6,000rpm and never slow down, and this is without starting smcFan.
    I never told it to start when the macbook does or even when I log in.

The temperature gets as low as 70*F and the fans still go at 6 thousand rpms which I know isnt normal, it never did this before smc fan.

I uninstalled the program and restarted to see nothing but the same 6 thousand rpms.

Any ideas?

I would look for support from those who made smcFan, but I cannot find their homepge.

2. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

OK, let me give this a shot.

1. "whenever I start my machine the fans spin at 6,000rpm and never slow down, and this is without starting smcFan. I never told it to start when the macbook does or even when I log in."

While this seems to imply that you have toyed with the login settings in system prefs, I want to make sure that you have specifically gone into system prefs and selected your user and selected "login items" and then add SMC fan control. This gives you direct access to the application by way of the menubar and then you modify any settings.

2. Is it possible that you set the default settings for 6K RPM? Have you customized SMC fan control to create a new fan speed settings? It sounds like this might be what happened, but I need a little more detail and clarification from your post. Hopefully we'll come up with an answer.

3. Kelly™ thread starter macrumors regular

I checked that system prefs area only to find I had a version of smcFanControl in my downloads folder that I missed which was being started at login.

My bad lol

4. bonecandy macrumors member

Wait a sec, has smcFanControl been updated to work with Leopard now?

5. Kelly™ thread starter macrumors regular