smcFanControl & Macbook Pro Retina

Discussion in 'macOS' started by RyanRoga, Oct 24, 2012.

1. RyanRoga macrumors newbie

Well here's a pretty critical issue. Here I sit with my $2300 machine after installing smcFanControl. My computer no longer has any form of automatic fan control....

Here's the deal:
    I installed smcFanControl and explored the settings. Ramped up my fan to around 3000 rpm from the automatic setting of around 2100 where it was at. It cooled off my computer an extra 10 degrees. Then I wanted to turn it off and put the fan control back to automatic settings.
    I can't do it. I turned off all automatic controls in the application and quit the app. Still at 3000rpm. Turned off and back on my machine (ensuring smc would not automatically restart on startup) and it's still at 3000.

My computer has effectively lost the ability to automatically govern the fans. WTF!? Someone help....

2. CASLondon macrumors 6502a

Do a SMC reset?

3. RyanRoga thread starter macrumors newbie

I am not aware of an older version that does a "reset" function, but the current version I am certain does not have such a function.

Or, were you referring to the firmware on the Mac?

4. CASLondon macrumors 6502a

I meant on the computer, not in the app.

See below....

http://gigaom.com/apple/when-to-reset-your-macs-pram-and-smc/

5. rgbastro macrumors newbie

Actually this software is outright dangerous.

1. It doesn't provide automatic rampup when there's overheating. So, if you settings are default and you have a high CPU usage (video playing or gaming) it doesn't automatically ramp up RPM on fans !

2. When you uninstall it actually there's no reversal to automatic fan RPM management by OS X. You have to do SMSC reset. And strangely for me it didn't have any effect -- fans are still at default RPM levels.