SMCFancontrol problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jsbarone, Jun 16, 2008.

1. jsbarone macrumors regular

I got a new MBP to replace my defective MBP today, and the first thing I did was boot it up and check the idle temperature. My last one got replaced because it overheated to the point of shutting down, and the idle speed was rather high. I checked the speed with SMCFancontrol, and it was idling around 40c which is moderately high. I set the Fan Speed to Higher RPM to see if it would bring it down any---that Fan Speed is 4000 rpm. It didn't bring it down any. Anyways, I hate having junk on my computer so I went and reinstalled OSX without Garageband and the Printer drivers. After everything was installed, I noticed that the fan still sounded loud so I installed SMCFancontrol again and noticed that the fan was still 4000rpm. I went to put it back to default but the default setting was 4000rpm, not 2000. There is no way I can find to set the speed any lower---I looked in the kexts but they were hard to understand. Can anyone help?

Summary: The lowest my brand new MBP fan speed will go is 4000 RPM after reinstalling OSX with the fan speed set at 4000rpm. I want to put it back to normal at 2000.

2. rodman109110 macrumors 6502

I had the same problem on mine. I copied the plist file from my friends MBP on to mine and it set the default back at 2000rpms. Here is my plist file, its in a zip file. It should work if you replace your smcplist file with mine but save yours so if it doesn't work you can put yours back. You should then be able to uninstall smcfancontrol.

Attached Files: