SMCFanControl - Quiting doesn't reset fan speeds.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by neenja, Dec 9, 2009.

1. neenja macrumors 6502

I have a macbook pro, intel 2.4ghz core 2 duo, running snow leopard.

My default speed for smcfancontrol is set to 4000rpm for both fans. I turn it on when i feel things are gettin a bit hot and I dont have my laptop cooler fan underneath.

I noticed something, when I quit smcfancontrol, shouldnt the fans revert back to default speed? I checked with iStatpro and saw that, even after quitting smc, the speeds of the fans are still at 4000rpm.

After doing an SMC Reset, the default fan speed as stated by iStatpro is 2000rpm. As soon as I fire up smcfancontrol and quit it right after, the fans stay at 4000rpm. Even after i power cycle (reboot & power off/on) the mbp, the fans are still stuck at 4000rpm.

I feel this will wear out my fans a lot faster, I hardly ever need the fans at faster than 2000rpm because I use a laptop cooler 90% of the time.

Is this a normal issue? Or a bug? Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks!

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I'm not a user of SMCFanControl but I believe that's how it works. If you want to revert back to the stock fan speed, you will need to perform a SMC reset. Again, I'm not familiar with it but check to see if there is a program setting to allow you to manage the fan speed.

I use Fan Control and leave the base speed at 2000 and then set thresholds to reflect the tasks that I'm doing so if I'm not doing anything, it will spin at 2000. I suggest you look into it. SMCFanControl would be more ideal if you need the fans to spin at a certain speed if you're worried about temperatures in Windows.

3. wallace0134 macrumors newbie

If you decide to remain with smcFanControl:

The fans will remain at the same minimum level you specified until you set them back to the default minimum RPM in smcFanControl (or reset the SMC altogether).

Here's an option: leave the "Default" setting as the default minimum fan speed, then make a separate favorite/setting to ramp the minimum fan speed up. When you are done, you just switch back to the "Default" setting and close smcFanControl.

I do not know of any way to have smcFanControl automatically switch to "Default" on close.

4. vant macrumors 65816

I have three settings 2k, 4k, and 6.2k (Max). To 'shut off' extra fans, I switch it to 2k.

5. rodman109110 macrumors 6502

the reason it stays at 4,000 is it changes the plist file default to 4000. resetting the smc fixes that. I also recommend keeping the default setting at whatever the default is for your computer because if you ever have to do a reinstall you could get it stuck at the 4000 default if you don't reset it. It happened to me and it was not fun trying to get the correct plist file.

6. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Closing the program does not reset the fan speeds. You'll need to manually reset them or use smc reset or system rest (so long as smcFanControl does not auto start)

7. neenja thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the replies guys, i created a 2000rpm "default" setting :)

8. AndyMH macrumors newbie

hey, first post here. I accidentally forgot to set my fan speed to the default speeds before re-installing mac osx snow leopard... Now my fan speed defaults are set to what I had them set before erasing my hard drive and reinstalling mac osx... stupid, I know, but somebody mentioned finding the proper plist, where is the proper plist? or how else can I remedy this problem?