smcFanControl unstoppable?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Alvi, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

Hi guys i installed a few days ago smcFanControl to my MacBook Pro, everything was fine until i realized it's basically unstoppable, if you set fans to any specific speed and then close the program it will just keep going on at RPM which is annoying since it should be automatic? SMC says that if you set the slider down it should go into automatic, but it just keeps at 2000RPM

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Sounds like you didn't actually quit the program. You can adjust the preferences by clicking on the menu bar item and selecting "Preferences."

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

2000rpm is the standard speed, the fans spin all the time. If they wouldn't the CPU and GPU will be a lot hotter (10 to 20 K).

4. Alvi thread starter macrumors 65816

Alvi

What do i have to do there so it's on auto? I usually quit it by clicking the menu bar and "Quit smcFanControl" The proof would be that i set it to 6000rpm and it won't ever go lower even if i quit smc and the temp is just 50deg

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You need to go to System Preferences>Other>Fan Control

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If you set it at 6000rpm then quit the app it will remain there until you turn the machine off then start it back from a total power down. If you set it to 6000rpm and the fans rev up then you set it to 2000rpm it may seem like the fans aren't getting slower but they are. It takes some time before they get back to their original operating speed.

7. davidlv macrumors 65816

Hi aggie. As far as I can see, smcfancontrol doesn't install a system preference pane called "Fan Control". Are you using another software that does? I have smcfancontrol installed on my MacBook Pro and it only has the menubar icon (prefernces, settings, etc.) It works fine on my laptop. However, I have seen it act up and not work correctly on a friend's iMac 24" early 2009 machine, where it will only use the first setting you set, ignoring any other settings you install. That may be machine specific. The work around there is to delete all related preference files, re-run the app and set up a setting as the default, and add no other settings. Then it works OK.

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I'm actually not sure, now that you ask. I've installed a number of "fan control" type apps until I settled on smcFanControl awhile back. So, the question is, I guess, what is Fan Control? :) At any rate, I like the settings for this mysterious app, since it allows me to set a high and low setting for the temp and a minimum speed for the fan. smcFanControl doesn't work like that from I can tell.

Edit: I must have installed Fan Control and forgot.

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

[​IMG]

It can look like this:
    [​IMG]

But it currently looks like this:
    [​IMG]

And can be located here:
    http://www.lobotomo.com/products/FanControl/

and found via
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...&spell=1&redir_esc=&ei=JoehS4jEFsqa_QbU1YHZDQ

[​IMG]

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Ha! Did you really think I'd be a hypocrite and make a comment like that about myself and not then go search for what I forgot I installed. :)

Now I'm wondering which one is better. :confused: smcFanControl is what I thought the consensus was the best to use for fan control purposes. I must have installed Fan Control before I went with the consensus. Besides, I don't have temp issues. My MBP never goes above 60ish when at 100% CPU.

11. Alvi thread starter macrumors 65816

Alvi

Which settings do you recommend for a MacBook Pro? Lower Threshold and Upper Threshold means max and min temps i want to have?

12. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Of course. Not. I was just trying some stupid humour. It's quite boring right now, as I wait for a medicine to take effect, and my mind gets a bit buzzed due to that.

I used SMC Fan Control before I found FanControl, and as SMC had some problems with its fan speed control, it would not slow down, even though I set it to slow down, and only an SMC reset would remedy that, I found FanControl to be much nicer and more easygoing as it does not f-almost-ubar.

13. davidlv macrumors 65816

If you decide to uninstall Fan Control, I believe there is a text file on how to do that in the download package.
    AS smcfancontrol works for me (and like you I have only a moderate need for cooling), I am still using it, will switch to Fan Control if necessary. Using both at the same time doesn't sound so cool.:cool: (sorry about the bad Joke)

14. GeraldButton macrumors member

I had/have the same issue with SMC Fan Control. But I am modeling in 3D near most of the time and rendering large scenes can really hammer the system and heat it up. I have an iMac so SMC is going most of the time. I rendered once for 90 hours strait with no downtime, but as you mentioned, when that was done, I couldn't get SMC to bring the fans back down to normal, it decided to let them stay on rocket ship mode.