smcFANControl

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chrisworld, Aug 19, 2010.

1. chrisworld macrumors member

Hi there. Does anyone know if say..you are running SMC fan control at a low or medium fan setting, that the smc overrides those settings if the Mac starts to overheat and requiring fans to be above those settings?

So far I'm using SMC at Medium fan settings, my CPU fan is constantly at 2150 RPM range. Having your Mac cooler than normal for the price of some lower fans is quite worth it, but I'm worried that if I am using a lot of high CPU apps that the fans won't automatically go up, because right now i'm compressing some 7zip archives of old data and the CPU is around 104 F, 2150 RPM fan still, it didn't change one bit from CPU at 90 F idle and 2150 RPM idle.... BUT the fan does go slightly up and down (as nothing is going to stay constant, it's kinda like say a variable bit rate audio file....to compare at the least)

2. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Yes, not to worry, the system will override it if the machine gets too hot and turn the fans up. 104 F is still very cool and nothing to worry about. You won't see it until you get quite a bit higher than that.