Smear mark under the screen Apple or retailer PC World

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mdoyle, Jul 6, 2010.

1. mdoyle macrumors member

My ipad has this nasty smear mark under the screen its def not on top I bought it day of launch in pc world. Should i take back in there or go to the apple reseller in my city centre. As apple hold the warrenty and repairs of these devices

Attached Files:

2. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Call up Apple, and make an appointment.

Chances are, they'll direct you to either the location of purchase or to your local Apple store where a Genius at the Genius Bar can help you.

Best of luck!

3. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

That looks like an apple problem to me, unless it's user damage....
    I don't think PC world would be able to do anything for you.
    Make a genius appointment.

4. leehal macrumors member

I bought my 2nd iPad from Currys and had a dead pixel replaced at the Apple store, they weren't bothered where I bought it from and didn't even ask for a receipt.

5. mdoyle thread starter macrumors member

thanks guys for all the advice. Ill how i get on at an apple store

6. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

7. BigMovieGeek macrumors regular

My iPad had EXACTLY the same mark in the same place. I took it back to Apple and they replaced it without much hassle.

8. mdoyle thread starter macrumors member

Do you think if they replace it they'll let me upgrade to the 32 gb version bit cheeky to ask but it's the only regret I have with h device not getting the additional memory

9. Kerching macrumors member

The not enough memory is always the old worry.

I went for the 64Gb iPad and have just recieved my 32Gb iPhone 4 - even though i have never gone over half that on my 3Gs. Always buy as much as you can afford

10. mdoyle thread starter macrumors member

Great got to either post my ipad back to Apple and let them decide if the pictured problem is covered by warrenty or drive 52 miles to the nearest store in Exeter. Well a £529 piece of equipment is going to have to be worth the trip to Exeter as i know how mail away warrenty works and it'll be classed as user damage and i'm stuck with the mark.
    The smear is def underneath the screen as running your finger anywhere else on the display is as smooth as where the smear mark is.

11. Tulipone macrumors 6502

I got my iPad in the States but needed warranty exchange for video freezing. They raised an eyebrow as they were not available in the UK on that date but still swapped it out.

My question would be how come you have only just noticed it. It looks pretty obvious.

12. mdoyle thread starter macrumors member

I thought it was simply dirt from when i was touching it as when the screen is cleaned and held upright its hard to see. However if you run you finger over it a few times it stands right out and is really noticeable if turned vertically to view movies as it catches in the light. I have a feeling it maybe where i cleaned it with a screen wipe its leaked in behind the home key and under the glass. If the glass can be removed i think a clean will fix it and problem sorted.

13. mdoyle thread starter macrumors member

Sorted been to Apple Store in Exeter today and iPad has been replaced. It's a refurb as the keypad was in dutch and iPad was already activated via iTunes but its not a problem as it looks and feels brand new.
    I was surprised there was no questions on how it happened or any evasion on Apples part to try and put the responsibility of the damage onto me as to not cover it under the warrenty. (It wasn't damaged by me no idea how it happened)

Very happy bunny and glad i've changed all my computing luxuries from Windows to Apple.

2 thumbs up to Apples customer care

14. toximac macrumors newbie

Ipad fault aswell - but not the smear

Hey I have a small light problem at the top of the ipad screen, in the middle along the edge - here is a pic I had to lighten up cause i took it with my iphone3GS and it has no flash..
    [​IMG]
    Anyway, do you think I can return it cause i can still see it in colour, its just watching movies i notices it when its not on FULL screen (so when its black)
    I dont know if its a bleed, light streak or watever...

15. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Backlight flashlighting/spotting is sadly pretty common with iPads (and consumer LCDs in general these days). I think depending on the severity of it they will replace it, but there is a chance you will get another one with it or it will be even worse. If you really can't live with it then definitely take it back and make your case, but don't expect to automatically get one that is flawless.